Tuesday, March 22, 2011

15 Minutes A Day - A Challenge with Kate

Kate over at Life In Pieces has decided to do a Tuesday Linky Party called the 15 minute challenge . The deal is that you commit to doing some crafting, quilting, knitting ...whatever floats your boat ...for 15 minutes a day or every couple of days or whatever you decide. I love link ups with very few rules,  and I need the motivation Monday through Thursday to continue the amazing craftiness that goes on here Friday through Sunday so I'm in!

Here's what happened for me last week.
Last Tuesday - I whipped off to Spotlight's 20% off sale and bought 10 metres of ribbon for under 10 bucks. Supply gathering counts as crafting...oh yes it does...


Wednesday Night - I went for tea at my in laws and took my carrots with me...and did nothing. When I got home I spent some time sorting through my stash ...for about three whole minutes. I picked up some mess from the cutting table, sewed four lines on a crappy looking mug rug and went and ate a pack of salt and vinegar chips. Did I mention I've been hitting the chips and jellies pretty hard lately and put on 2.5 kilos in the last three weeks?

Thursday -I decided if I was going to be crafty at all I needed to put some effort into cleaning up my sewing room. It was kind of messy. OK fine .It looked like a whole fabric store had imploded in there.  Then  I promptly sat on my arse for the rest of the night. I guess that was pretty much a fail.

Friday wasn't as craftilicious as I'd hoped for Friday Night Sew In. You can read about it here. But I did do something so that was a pass.

Saturday - National Quilting Day : What better way to celebrate than by buying fabric for my paper piecing quilt along.


I tried some stitching. Hopefully I'll get better with practice.


And the back for the snowball quilt got finished -Elizabeth sent me some fabrics a while back and some of them made their way into the back of this quilt when I found myself 10 inches short AFTER I'd put it together a couple of weeks ago.Thank You E for saving my bacon. Miss P has claimed the snowball quilt as hers in place of the Lily and Will Quilt I finished earlier this month which is on it's way to it's new home as we speak.


On Sunday I made the Christmas Quilt back and squared it up. One step closer to another finish. This one is one my official PhD list.


I squared up Little P's quilt back so it's ready to go to the quilter.


I finished the carrots with a little help from Miss P.


And I cut all the squares for my new quilt and sewed over half of them together .


Monday -I came home from work late and decided I was going to finish the rest of the blocks for the new quilt I started Sunday. Done!


So all in all . I'm giving myself a 5/7 for the week.  I still had two days where I couldn't be stuffed. Sometimes it's so hard to drag myself away from the computer but I think I got more done than usual this week regardless.   If you want to join the linky party you can head on over here and see how Kate and everyone else did.


22 comments:

melissa said...

Well i reckon youve done well Shay , a couple of quilts near the finish, and yes the gathering of supplies is a necessary step, its gotta be done ! I love the look of the New Quilt!

Angie said...

I figure sitting around THINKING about what you are going to work on next counts as 'craty'. After all how would you ever make anything unless you DECIDED what you were going to do. There, problem solved! ;)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I will not be joining the linkee party but good for you for getting done what you did! :)

I mean to try some handstitching this year at some point. I did it when I was a kid with some good success so I have hopes it will come back easy to me. We'll see when I actually get around to it, though. :)

Char said...

Wow! You sure got a lot done. I think this 15 minutes thing is working for you.

I don't see anything wrong with the stitching. Looks great to me.
I still haven't touched my snowball quilt.

Three Birds Inspired said...

I wish I had been half as busy as you!

AnnieO said...

You're making progress and that always cheers a person up. Sometimes it is really hard to get going, but of course once there you want to stay most times! Last night I went down to my machine at 10 pm and stayed there until after midnight! Not so great for my beauty sleep, but good for my WIPs...

Sara said...

A couple of those repros were ones I bought again after using them in my first retro quilt because I really quite like them, and that quilt was half white (well, off white) too, just like yours.

I'm thinking shopping has to count as progress. Even online browsing as a precursor to shopping, which I do for well over 15 minutes every day.

thea said...

Looks like a good week's worth of work. It's hard to do only 15 minutes .. Looks like you're making progress on many fronts.

Elizabeth said...

I don't think that Blogger and my browser like each other because I had a nice long comment typed out and then Blogger ate it and then I couldn't even bring up the comment pop-up window up, so I had to give up and turn off the computer. But I'm back to give it another stab. Now, let's see if I can remember was I was on about.

Oh, yes. I remember . . .

Your repros project is AWESOME! Love it!

And wow! You are really cruisin' through your Ph.D's. Good for you! Your Christmas coins is really fun {I like the dots -- that's why I didn't tell you it looked bad, because I don't think it does!}. And I love what you did with the fabrics I sent you. It's like I'm famous! I love that they went on the back of the Snowball quilt.

Also, I said it before, but I'll say it again, love those pinks and browns for your paper piecing quilt. I'm totally resisting checking it out because I don't really like paper piecing and I have a million paper piecing projects going on already {not to mention a million regular projects going on} but I hear it is really fabulous. Can't wait to see what you do.

Your stitching is really nice! I like it a lot! That is going to be a really fun quilt.

And lastly, the carrots were so much fun! You rock! And I give you a 100% for craftiness this week. So much going on at your house.

xo -E

Kirsten said...

I think you did great. I didn´t realize we were supposed to post on Tuesday and link up (sorry I´m actually blonde). Well I´ll join in next week.
And watch me not getting ANYthing done by than.

Larri said...

I'm impressed with all your craftiness. I think you did a fabulous job! :o) What's Miss P going to work on next, since it's quite obvious she's caught the CraftyBug.


PS...I'm up to my eyeballs in scrapbook paper banners and cupcake piks! Ahh!

Marg said...

Love your new HST quilt in the repros. Wow you were fast piecing that.
I can't see anything wrong with your embroidery either, and now you are going to have another Christmas project to finish unless you are just going to leave it at that then it will be a Sixties project, "peace on", lol.
The fabrics you have chosen for the paper piecing are so pretty, I can't wait to see the blocks.
Finishing two backs in a week deserves a gold star too.
I love love love Sara's way of thinking. Sara deserves a medal and should be elevated to Goddess of Quilting. If she is right I spend at least 4 hours a day every day quilting, lol.

Jennifer said...

You didn't do too badly I reckon, 5/7 is better than 4/7. And of course buying supplies from Spotties counts, beaucse if you didn't buy supplies then you would have nothing with which to be crafty.

Paulette said...

Count me among the impressed! Great job on the projects you've got going. That 15 minutes a day really adds up to quite a lot by the end of the week.

Kate said...

Wow, for pursuing craftiness for just 5 out of 7 days you really made progress. Prep for new quilts, finished piecing the blocks for one just started, and then two backs. When do you sleep woman?

I think the stitching looks great (I blew up the picture and really looked too!).

Lisa said...

Wow, you've been busy! Love all the carrots too, and so excited for you that your daughter is learning to craft! I love seeing Breanna so interested in sewing. Keep up the good work!
I love the pink and brown fabrics, can't wait to see what you do!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I like all the variety in your 15 mins a day....I just seem to do the same old, same old Knit 1 Purl 1
;-) PS I bought a quilt kit today at Spotlight, just a small one but it is a start!

Mistea said...

That looks like lots of production time - maybe a few more than 15mins a day.
Can't wait to see that Christmas quilt all done.
Your carrots look amazing - must get some happening at my house, I even found fabric in the stash!

Unknown said...

Carrots are amazing. I'm totally bugged out! We have sold the house, got so much junk to get rid of that I couldn't do my "duties" this week, but am ahead on the 15 minutes as I do have knitting in progress. It's been snowing again in this colony, so that's depressing...spring is coming soon so the weather man says.

Shevvy said...

Yah! An excuse for fabric shopping - good for you.
I love the carrots, they are so cute. Glad Miss P got into it as well.

Vesuviusmama said...

You got way more done than I ever do, so bravo to you!

Brenda said...

What a great idea! I have a quilt sitting here in the middle of my house, waiting patiently to be hand quilted - but I never "have time" - but I could probably squeeze in 15 minutes...(BTW - I gained 2.5 pounds on my cruise - which is GREAT - it could have been so much more AND I don't regret one mouthful of deliciousness!)