Thursday, December 31, 2009

Realisation Dawns...

It's my wedding anniversary today and for the first time we are going to spend it alone. In past years we've thrown several  parties, gone to a ball, got married, gone away, done nothing, but this year we decided to go out to dinner. Just the two of us.

Off to the hairdresser this morning. I do that a lot...go to the hairdresser.  It's sacrilege but my hairdresser, Megan is the god of hair. That girl can make a silk purse out of a sows ear each and every time. I have nice hair that I don't really take care of. I'm a pony tail and 5 minute blow dry kind of girl. Megan makes me look gorgeous once a month. Sometimes twice. Or even three times.  I'm also putting one of her future children through private school with the financial renumeration I give her.

So sitting there today looking at myself in the mirror and I realised ..I am middle aged. Except for special occasions I don't wear makeup. I really do wear a pony tail about 5 days out of 7. I have bags, and wrinkles and dark circles under my eyes. When the frig did that happen? I wear comfortable shoes over heels. No way am I squeezing myself into something uncomfortable clothes wise. I go for comfort not fashion. I squint when I read labels, but I'm  too vain to wear my glasses. I have mild jowls! OMFG!!!! Everything is dropping. I have several grey hairs. When I stand - I make sounds like rice bubbles. Snap. Crackle. Pop.

I computer the night away instead of dancing it away. Sometimes my leg hair is long enough to plait. I stopped getting bikini waxes about the same time I stopped wearing bathers altogether. Everyone looks younger than me. I keep discovering and pulling out a chin hair that grows overnight to three inches long.

When did all this stuff happen? I'm only 43. Actually I'm probably past middle age. Now I'm panicking. I think since this is New Years Eve I should be making a resolution to think young and get funky again. Anyone else feel like lamenting their lost youth?

No comments: