Friday, November 18, 2011

Favourite Things Friday



Hellooooooooo Friday. It's so nice to see you again. 


My Favourite Thing this week includes this mush alert disclaimer- so you may want to wait until your breakfast/lunch/dinner digests before you proceed.  

I'm sure some of you wonder what it is I do all week given the deliberately vague description of my job in my profile. The reason it's vague is that I don't want to be recognised in my real life from my blog posts. You can imagine that I don't wander round in my professional life dropping words like crap and bugger and letting it all hang out like I do here. I'm very much into keeping my work life and home life separate. 

A bit of context: My job is all about advice, and trouble shooting and sorting problems and dealing with the highs and lows of having a child with a disability or significant developmental delay. It's a roller coaster of emotion. It's about being able to juggle 30 balls in the air all at once and to make each person feel like they're the only person I work for.  It's about thinking you've sorted something on Tuesday only to have something new crop up on Thursday.  I have to give the appearance that I'm completely in control  because families  look to me for answers.  And like with any job, some days are diamonds , and some aren't. 

I work pretty much full time. And when you're spending 34 hours a week at work it helps to actually like the people you work with. I work with a very small team of amazing people. People who are incredibly gifted in their respective professional fields. People who are very experienced and committed to the work they do. And when you stick 8 or 9 people with strong personalities in one place and get them to work together 8 hours a day sometimes you get fireworks. I'm probably the one that sets off those fireworks most often  because I'm not always very tactful and sometimes I engage my mouth before my brain. (Is anyone surprised by that little news flash ?) 

But in amongst all of that - not only are these ladies great at what they do , they are incredible people to work with. When you're having a great day and something big has happened they'll celebrate with you. When your butt is dragging on the ground they'll pick you up and commiserate with you. Just before Little P was born these gals took me out to lunch and gave me a "grandma to be" bag which included reading glasses, laxatives  and a shower hat because that's what every grandma needs. They wrote me a book about being a grandma that still cracks me up every time I read it. 

During Miss P's teen years my work buddies kept me from completely melting down over the tragedy of having a teenager who wouldn't do a bloody thing she was told and everything we didn't want her to do.  One person in particular managed to convince me I wasn't the worlds worst. parent. ever.  She has no idea of how wonderful she is because she is one of the most humble people I know. Another person I work with is the calmest most unflappable person I've ever met and she doesn't see herself that way at all. Everyone brings their own unique personality to our team and adds something fabulous. 

For their never ending patience, for their unfailing optimism, for their ability to make me laugh when the last thing I feel like doing is laughing and for all the support they give me personally and professionally , for making it OK to be me (warts and all ) it's time I said thank you. 

If I have to spend 8 hours a day not sewing I can't think of a better way to spend it than with you guys. You're awesome and I appreciate each and every one of you. 

You all know the drill- now it's your turn to tell me about one of your favourite things this week. 

27 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a really sweet story. My daughter was in what we call Early Intervention because she did have some developmental delays, and they were pretty serious. But now, because of a woman like you, you can hardly tell. I respect what you do so much, expecially because I am one of those people who looks to someone doing what you do and expects them to have all the answers. So thank you! :p

Canadian Abroad said...

I bet your colleagues feel the same way about you! Lovely post. Now I have to go to bed and think of something that is my favourite thing for when I wake up. Hmmmm...

thea said...

What a great favorite! How great to work with such special people! I am sure they all think you are very special too! You just can't hide it.

Char said...

That was so wonderful. It's so nice to have great co workers. I know you feel blessed!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Aww, how nice of you to praise the co-workers. Not often you hear that. :)

melissa said...

Well, If they are such an awesome group of girls then you must fit right in Shay! You must make a fantastic team, - what a great FTF!

x

Michelle Ridgway said...

Where would all those people be without you and your wonderful co-workers. I think it is really important to tell people how special they are and how much it means to have them in your life. I had such a group where I worked and we still have coffee every month for a catch up even though I have retired....you can't beat a great team and I am sure they feel the same about you Shay.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I love this post. It sounds like these lady's have been a part of your life for a good many years which is an achievement in itself to be in the same job for so long, especially one with your level of stress.

I bet they think the same of you, good teams are hard to come by. Great FTF :-)

Michelle said...

What an awesome favorite! Sounds like you work with a special group of people. You are very fortunate.

Paulette said...

Loved this favorite! Sounds like interesting, challenging and rewarding work, Shay. Glad you have such awesome and supportive colleagues. It makes it all the better. Happy Friday!

Shocking Hocking said...

how wonderful to be able to say that about the people you work with - outstanding!

Rachaeldaisy said...

A good work team is the best! It can really make or break a job and be the difference between a good and bad day!

Kristie said...

Awww... sounds like a great group. I am lucky that way, too. There are sometimes periods of crap at work (kinda in one right now) but it is the people I work with that make it tolerable on those days and fun on the others. BUT- it is not all random, you are probably treated well by them because you do the same in return, eh? Good people find good people!

AnnieO said...

Work environments like that are very very rare! You're lucky and you know it and that's definitely something to celebrate!

Kirsten said...

Great post...you are very fortunate to have a working team aroun you and the people who need your help are very lucky to have such massive experience in one place.
And I am sure your co workers wouldn´t want to miss you!!
But than....who would ever want to miss knowing you!?

Anonymous said...

how lovely to love what you do & who you do it with so much! Great FTF :)

Sara said...

I too am lucky enough to work with some of my best friends every day. They're the reason I go to work. That, and fabric money.

Larri said...

Shay, you're so blessed to love what you do and love the people with whom you work. I have a feeling they're double-blessed because they have you as a co-worker. You're fabulous! ☺ Love your favourite this week. Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday night! ☺

Petra said...

Wow! That's a sweet thank you note to the people you work with! To have such favorites is a special, very special gift! Blessings!

Shevvy said...

Lovely favourite. I have to admit, having long term relations with work colleagues is a big thing I miss with doing contract work.

Unknown said...

A lovely story Shay...reveals a lot about you though...you just gotta figure that if you walk down a street in Canada, I'll know you! But in your world, it is a gift you have.\
We are currently in therapy with a granddaughter being raised by my daughter her aunt...it is only with the help of people like you that we cope daily.
I'm not posting a Friday Fav as I've been a bit under the weather/whether.

Alisa said...

What a lovely tribute to your wonderful team. In our field it is a treasure to have a team that is so cohesive and fun to be around. I'm sure they appreciate you and your "crap and buggers" attitude just as much as you appreciate them.

rosie said...

Oh Shay, what a fantastic post.. says so much about you.... It is a wonderful thing you are doing in your day job.. you deserve every moment of sewing you can fit in to 'debrief'...

Kate said...

Wonderful FTF. Working with parents concerning their children has to be one of the most difficult jobs in the world. It's good your work mates have your back.

Vesuviusmama said...

Wow! Can I come work with you? Your co-workers sound amazing, and I know you are (warts and all).

Elizabeth said...

LOVED this post. Having people you can stand to work with, not to mention a support system is VERY important.

xo -E

Maria said...

A great post to read Shay! As a retired teacher and the mother of a daughter (now 28) who morphed into the most awful 16 year old and stayed like that until she turned 26 and grew up, I could identify with so many things. I had workmates like yours and some special friends who all helped through the tough times! Good on you, for the wonderful work that you do!