Friday, November 11, 2011

Favourite Things Friday



Welcome to Friday but only just! I'm fashionably late to my own blog party this week.  I've been hanging out for Friday since about 6 am Monday morning so I'm really glad it's arrived. How sad is that? And to my boss, who sometimes reads my blog, I honestly love my job ,  but thank you for approving my summer holidays because I'm all over the idea of sitting on my bum doing nothing for 7 weeks. Seriously. And that's my segue way into Favourite Things Friday this week. Pretty lame huh?

There are always swaps going on in Blogland.  Many of you participate , and  some of you are even brave enough to host and coordinate them!  I've never joined up to do a swap before for a few reasons which Im about to enumerate here.

1) I like to march to the beat of my own drum and do my own thing. I'm not really a group person . (Have we forgotten who got put in the naughty corner at the Kellie Wulfsohn workshop?)

2) I always worry that whatever I send my swap partner will be a disappointment to  them. My stuff isn't perfect and what I like isn't always what other people like. Conversely I cant work on something that I dont love.  If I sent something that some one hated I'd be mortified. I imagine that email would do the rounds of everyone on the entire internet proclaiming  me to be the worst swap partner ever. Yeah Im desperately insecure -and have an over inflated sense of my own importance. Dont be surprised. It's not like I hide it.

3) Some people turn swapping into an Olympic sport. They have been in training for years to get the Gold Swap Buddy medal and will stop at nothing to attain their goal. So when the swap rules are for a specific crafty item and a little present those people go overboard and include 15 yards of fabric, 8 pounds of chocolate hand made by a tribe from the Amazon that hasn't been discovered yet , a hand made quilt that took them 4 months to finish,  and new Mercedes Benz.  I'm not one bit interested in having "Best Swapper EVER " put on my gravestone when I die. I'm also not overly competitive. 

Anyway ...Kat announced she was doing a secret scrappy swap a month or so ago. She had rules that limited what you could send because she wanted it to be a low stress fun swap.  I thought about it and decided with some trepidation to dip my toe into the swapping pool. I figured I love scraps, even I can make something little as a gift and I live in the land of Haigh's so the local gift was easy. 

So I sent this to Cindy, who was the easiest going swap partner in the whole swap and is one of the nicest people I know. I had a lot of  fun putting this package together for her. And I honestly didn't stress out at all!




And yes- I sent her Haigh's. You can see Cindy's photo of the package here 

Tammi drew me as her partner and I received this parcel early this week. It was full of special little touches that thrilled me. Is that the cutest way to wrap a gift ever?


Scrappy Goodness and a gorgeous little vintage sheet purse!


Oh Yeah- Chocolate!

Thank you Kat, Cindy and Tammi for making this such a terrific experience. I may have conquered my swap anxiety particularly if I get partners and swap Mamma's like you next time!


25 comments:

Marg said...

You and me both. I'm forever worried about exactly the same things with swaps.
You're selvage baskets look so cheerful and Tammi's purse is really cute. You didn't share any of your chocolate, hmmmmmm.

Shocking Hocking said...

funny, funny post - 'naughty corner'?? what the....and good save in case your boss is reading...and btw, my favourite haigh's is the peppermint frogs, just in case you're asking

Pokey said...

Your fabric basket was a sweet success, my dear. I hold off on completed swaps also, is it because of your reasons? Probably...but yours is great! Keep up the great inspiration, I may need to try something new myself....
:-}pokey

Petra said...

I'm so glad you're over your swap anxiety! You always make me laugh!! Thanks for hosting FTF!

Char said...

Looks like the swap was very successful. I'm glad you conquered your fear! I always think other peoples scraps are better than my own.

thea said...

Looks like a very successful swap. I haven't considered joining one, yet. Looks love the bags, on both ends.

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a wonderful swap experience and broke your phobia of swaps! I will neither confirm nor deny if I slightly hand picked your partners.

I have also never tried Haighs. But would like to know what all the fuss is about.
That is all.

(subtle much? ;) )

Anonymous said...

by the way - you are really lucky you ended up receiving that pouch. Quite a number of our friends tried to steal it from Tammi before it got to you - I've learnt not to mess with you vintage sheet lovers. I might lose an eye...

Shevvy said...

And those are the same reason I still haven't joined a swap, all that pressure to deliver lots of goodies and stuff. Glad you enkoyed it though.

Sara said...

Woah, crazy coincidence, that pinky-orangish-ish one in the bottom middle of the fabrics you got is the same as what I found out in my shed a couple of days ago to use as a quilt back.

Canadian Abroad said...

I don't have anything favourite today. Nothing. Pah! But so glad you had a great swap and received such niceness as well as sent such a great parcel. Now I know you can be coerced into doing swaps - ha! just you wait until the next one I organise.

Kristie said...

What a gorgeous little clutch :) Glad your first crafty swap was a success!

AMW said...

Yep - Same reasons I don't do swaps! But glad you got over your fears! Nice haul!

Anonymous said...

a very amusing post,swaps are so much fun and you get to meet the nicest people,hope you have fun with some more swaps,love what you made.

Larri said...

I'm so afraid of swaps! Glad to see you overcome yours. Your swap partner was obviously thrilled. Great favourite, Shay! Thanks for sharing. Happy Saturday ☺

Baa-Me Kniits said...

7 weeks holidays...sounds like heaven! I am about to have six weeks, oh wait thats with the kids too! Bugger!

Nice swap goodies and I love what you made, yes you are too insecure its gorgeous :-)

Michelle Ridgway said...

Even though I have dipped my whole foot in the water I do still feel anxious about swaps too. You have no need to be concerned. I have seen first hand what beautiful stitching you do and Tammi's gift was just as gorgeous. Well done. I am glad you enjoyed it and there was no stress attached.

Rachaeldaisy said...

7 weeks holiday!! oh you'll enjoy that far too much!! You did so well in your sappy swap!! Your fabric basket is so pretty and the clutch you received is just gorgeous, you'll be planning outings just so you can use it.

melissa said...

Ive only done a couple of swaps but have really enjoyed them and recieved some beautiful goodies! I agree though some people do go overboard with the extras and i was starting to feel a bit lousy with what i sent compared to others in this last swap but hey its not about all the extra stuff is it? Anyway my partner was happy so thats all that matters. Love the baskets you made did you follow a tutorial (look like a good idea for Xmas presents!)

x

Paulette said...

Cute, cute, cute swap goodies, both yours and your partner's! I haven't done a swap yet, for much the same reasons you enumerated, but I think I will sometime or other. Looks like a lot of fun!

Mistea said...

well done on overcoming 'swap anxiety' - You are so lucky to live in the 'Land of Haigh'. Very cute basket.
Enjoy your lovely package - bet that chocolate can no longer be seen in your house?
Great Favourite.

Kate said...

Very cool and gorgeous swap goodies, going both ways.

So now that I've lost my partner in the the "swap anxiety group", I guess I'm going to have to give swapping a try.

Cindy said...

SHAY!!! I just love you to pieces!! Can I just say that YOU were the best swap giver ever? I loved everything about this package. And the chocolate...I mean it, girlfriend...YOU ARE MY CHOCOLATE PIMP! I am using the fabric bag wisely. The chocolate is hidden in it underneath the scraps. Once the chocolate is gone, I'll do something creative with scraps, but for now, they hide the precious brown treasure...and I have a couple bites every time I'm in my sewing room...I'm making it last, because I seriously, seriously love this stuff. You are the BEST!! Thank you again! xoxoxooooo

Mindy said...

Congratulations on your first swap! What fun! Looks like you both ended up with really great stuff!

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe I'm this far behind on your blog. I'm the worst blog-friend ever.

I loved your swap gifts! Both the little bag you sent (such bright, cheerful colors!) and the gifts you got. That little purse is ADORABLE. Glad you had a great experience.

xo -E