Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekend Misadventures of Q.I.M.P

Ha! Tricked you! The weekend sailed along smoothly. Relaxingly. (Blogger says that's an actual word). Stuff got done. Nothing broke.No disasters. There was no blood and I didnt set fire to anything.

I have realised  I don't have original meal ideas anymore-  I'm copying everyone else's meals. If you post a recipe I'm probably going to make it. Aside from Marg's Cannelloni I made  Elizabeth's Grandmother's meatloaf for dinner on Saturday and it was the best meatloaf I have ever tasted. Another keeper. Mr. P practically inhaled it ,  so sorry,   no pictures. I have a spare in the freezer, along with two curries, and 2 chicken cacciatores I also made this weekend.   I feel like I'm turning into the savoury version of Bakerella.

I picked up an antique blackwood chair on Saturday to strip and re-paint for the corner of the dining room. Isn't she beautiful? It probably won't look much different by the time I'm finished since I'm planning on refinishing her in antique white again. Can't you just see this in a corner with a quilt draped over it, just inviting you to take a load off?



This morning I picked up my "new" dining  chairs that have been partially  stripped and with a little more work will be ready for painting. These chairs are over 100 years old. As I'm getting older I really see the sense in re-using and repurposing beautiful old furniture. All of this means the kitchen renovation has officially commenced. Bring it on.  If I stop posting you'll know it's because I had a nervous breakdown or drowned in a vat of paint stripper.



And yes, that's another set of dining chairs in the background. At last count we had 16 dining chairs...what can I say? ...I collect them.

I transformed  a box of 324 quilt bits


into a basket of 81 quilt bits. (Slowly getting there )



I think this little lady brought me sewing luck because I didn't swear once...


I made these this afternoon. Jam Donuts. Mmmmmmm. Totally delicious.  Too bad none of you live close by or I would have shared.   We had them for lunch. Healthy....Damn you Masterchef!



 And, from the random department I would also like to announce I am  still eating Easter Chocolate here. That either means I'm rationing it out well, and have amazing self discipline  or I got so much in the first place that I am  truly piggy.

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend doing something you love.

15 comments:

Deb said...

So Shay, was it sausages that were used in the meat loaf or normal old sausage meat?
hugs Deb

Shay said...

It was something like McDonalds sausage and egg McMuffin meat (I checked with Elizabeth and that's not quite how she described it but that's how I visualised what she described) So I just threw some chevapcicci in there instead of the "sausage". Finally I made very edible meatloaf !

Mistea said...

All this tempting with delicious looking treats - Well at least you have enough chairs for when we all turn up for afternoon tea!

Love those quilt blocks - coming together nicely.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Love the look of those quilty (is there such a word? )pieces you are doing!

Anonymous said...

Love your photos, Mrs. P and those chairs. I have a thing about old furniture, too. I want to rescue every useful old chair or bookcase I see. Glad you had a lovely weekend.

Lane said...

Love all the chairs and I'm also a big one on buying and loving the old furniture. I see so much of it out on the street for the garbage and just want to bring it home and give it another life. But, alas...no space. Take care. Lane

Barb said...

You are getting alot accomplished. Your angel is adorable...

AnnieO said...

I love the picture of the old white chair envisioned with a lovely quilt over it (the one you're making would do nicely. I claim that one for when I visit you in my mind--I'll sit !

What a satisfying weekend you had. And yes, you are a tricky one!

Brenda said...

Love the quilt blocks - you are an amazing woman, getting so much done! I also love your collection of dining room chairs. P.S. Now I want doughnuts!!

Shay said...

http://www.masterchef.com.au/jam-donuts-with-lavender-sugar-and-clotted-cream-custard.htm

You can find the recipe here ...they are delicious!

Elizabeth said...

Squee! I'm famous! I got a mention on Q.I.M.P.! Wohoo! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who likes the meatloaf. It would be a real bummer to discover after 13 years of marriage that I, in fact am a horrible cook.

Someone already mentioned it, but collecting dining chairs is not a bad thing because then you can throw some really fabulous dinner parties where you serve meatloaf and have enough chairs for everyone to be comfortable.

Oh and I love how your quilt is coming along! Cheers! -E

Cheryl said...

Ok I have chair envy...serious chair envy!! Wonderful chairs...and your quilts bits are looking lovely!! Wait I think I have doughnut envy tooooo :-)!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I absolutely adore those "chairs in the background." And frankly, girl, if you can make any kind of donut, you can bake!

Shay said...

Becks, I just want to point out that if you looks closely some of those donuts look like they have horns...devil donuts. (but they were yummy and really easy ) I've just taken those chairs in the background out of my dining room because I'm auditioning chairs for the new dining table.

Cheryl, before you envy me read some more blog posts .This was an exceptionally good weekend. Normally things dont look as good as this post made my life seem!

Mistea you are welcome for afternoon tea anytime! Annie, you can sit in any chair I possess the next time you visit Australia.

Thank you Barb.My angel IS adorable.

Lane, at least 10 of those beautiful old chairs live on my patio around our rather large outdoor table. I like things with character.

Ms. David Thorne lover. I have seen some of the makeovers you chicks do on furniture over there. Our cast offs are not half as interesting as yours.

Baa and Elizabeth, I laid those bits out last night and it is going to require some more procastination before I sew them togther, I think. I'm not sure I'm loving how this is coming together and have to think about it some more.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I was just going to ask for the recipe! they look so ridiculous!!!
I love, love, love the fabric for your new quilt. You, my friend, are extremely talented (at cooking, sewing, patiently enduring home renovations, etc.)!!!