Wednesday, February 01, 2012

15 Minutes with Kate (Finally Some Progress !)

With the exception of Monday when I rolled around naked in some scraps that arrived via post (bet it takes hours for you to get that mental image out of your head)  I sewed every single day this week. Despite daily activity in the sewing room there was only one minor finish but progress has been made on a number of fronts so I'm doing the happy dance. 

Last week was "sew a million bibs"week. I was thinking about making this an official annual worldwide event. However, when I stopped, Miss P stopped,so I have a ton of half finished bibs lurking round. I'm absolving myself from the responsibility of finishing them. I have other fish to fry.

4 more log cabin blocks were completed. That's a total of 16 and this quilt is starting to look very rainbow like. I'm aiming for 4 more this week.


Lots of sewing and pressing occurred in preparation for a big run at the hourglass quilt blocks. Those poor blocks have been sitting idle for months. They're starting to get a complex.



I bought Little P a new quilt cover last Friday. I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was very cute. (and much much cheaper than making one )  But they only had it in double and I need a single so I left it at the store.  You know how sometimes the answer to a dilemma is so obvious you don't think of it at first ?  I suddenly remembered that I actually sew and it wouldn't be hard to make the double quilt cover into a single . Duh ! Back to the store and then home again and this took about an hour to sort out. I'm spending this afternoon setting up his new bed in the guest room because guess who went to Ikea this morning? 


I couldn't resist making him a cushion from one of the pillowcases. It seems cushions are my latest obsession. 

I finally made one of my coffee sacks into a  cushion for my living room. This is destined to be an only child I think. Hessian is a bitch to work with ...



I think I have "chair fright" because I am yet to start that chair....

I am participating in a  Farmers Wife QAL with Claire, Loz , Val and some other wonderful ladies. Everyone else has started but since I'm a rebel I am still dithering. Originally I had decided to use these civil war repro fabrics 


but I was hit by an epiphany Sunday night and started pulling these from my stash. Yep-I'm going to rock the red and white. (if I ever get started ) 


I joined up with the String Thing Along group. Expect to see more selvage blocks over the coming weeks. Pulling them out to take this photo was as far as I got this week. 


I worked diligently on my hand sewn hexagon cushion  this week while watching multiple episodes of Sons of Anarchy (so glad I'm not a biker chick) and I'm really loving how this is turning out. Getting the paper pieces out may present some issues but I'll throw myself off that bridge when I get to it. 


Linking up to the Lovely Kate at Life in Pieces to see what other 15 minute aficionados have been doing this week. I'm going to sew my little heart out between now and Monday which is when I have to go back to w***. (See? I cant even say the W word at the moment) 

24 comments:

melissa said...

You have so many gorgeous , bright , happy projects on the go it must be hard to choose what to work on next! Love little P's quilt cover and Love the coffee sack cushion - do you drink that much coffee??? I thought i drank a lot!

Marg said...

Thanks for that image, I'm not sure whether I'll send you more scraps now if that's what you do with them!
Loving your rainbow blocks.
Aren't you a clever girl, Little P's quilt looks fabulous and yes, much cheaper and quicker than making one from scratch, I bet he's going to want to stay at Bella's permanently now!
Gee you do drink a lot of coffee don't you. That cushion looks great, a pity you lost the will to live making it.
Love your idea of the red and white civil war blocks. I'd offer to send you some more scraps, but hmm...............

Sheila said...

I'm enjoying your colorful UFO's! Seems salvage blocks are the rage these days.

libbyquilter said...

you have a lot of great projects happening here~!
i like that coffee sack cushion but the postcard/flowers/butterflys one that is sitting in front of it took my breath away ~ so very pretty and i think the contrasts between the two cushions is itself gorgeous.
your hexie project looks bright and happy. i have one but seem to be at a stuck spot with figuring out what i'm putting in between the flowers that i've made . . .
have tried a couple of things and nothing is really working . . .

glad to visit and see your progress. take care.
:-)libbyQ

Shocking Hocking said...

can't go wrong with red and white for your farmers wife - we should do a swap!

love the rainbow logs

Susan Entwistle said...

I can't wait to see you rock the red and white. I'm hoping you inspire me to start adding red and white to my stash.

Canadian Abroad said...

Well, your sewing mojo finally kicked in! I love the selvege blocks. And I'm wondering if there really is a great demand for quilt covers of the larger size that have cars all over them?!

Kirsten said...

I love your bright and colorful projekts. Reminds me so much of summer, while we are freezing our butts off at 15 below 0. Taking the paper out of your hexies is fun - especially cause you know - IT IS FINISHD!!

Anonymous said...

wow what a lot going on - where even to start commenting?
Certainly looks like you found your sewing groove again. Great to see :)
xx

Mistea said...

Who needs to even think about the W word when not required to go there.
Hey looks like you have been having fun in the sewing room and it has been 'hot' enough to leave the PJ's off so enjoy getting to know your fabric.
Have an enjoyable few days with the sewing machine before the other thing starts to interfere again.

Jennifer said...

Little P's quilt is terrific, isn't it funny how we sometimes overlook the obvious......lots of pretty fabric goodness in this post!

Kate said...

Wow! You made tracks this last week! Love little P's new bed, very clever alterations.

Your projects are always gorgeous, love all the colors you are using.

Hope this week is as productive.

Helsie said...

So many things to comment on today!
Love the bright colours of the log cabin, they are going to make a beautiful quilt.
The browns were very nice too. I have to say I'm warming to these brown colours a bit.
Red and white - very you I think and will work out great.
The selviges are looking very colourful. Should make an interesting quilt ...
And last but not least are your daughter and Little P moving back in or is the bedroom just for visits from a big boy who sleeps in a big bed now?
Cheers

Kate said...

Wow, the Farmer's Wife is going to ROCK in red and white! Great choice! Your selvages are looking pretty cool, too. I need to have a paper piecing day here.

Bonnie said...

What a productive week! I love the red and white fabric. I keep thinking that I will start to make hexagons but I never do. Keep on sewing and enjoying.

AnnieO said...

You must be wasting away from hunger with all the sewing machine time you've been having! Glad someone in the world has made progress on multiple projects this week--I'm woefully behind on everything.

And...no thanks for the mental image.

Elizabeth said...

Use a paper punch to punch a hole in the middle of your hexagon papers before you start sewing. Then you can use a pair of tweezers to grip the paper and pull them out easier. Love the colors, by the way.

Beautiful work and beautiful fabrics this week. I love that rainbow scrappy quilt. It is my favorite of your projects this week. I'm going to have to make my own, I think. I don't have nearly the scraps/stash that you do, though. So perhaps I'll move to your neighborhood and become your annoying neighbor who is always over to borrow a cup of scraps (I'll by my own sugar).

Also, when I was in Brasil I did not drink one cup of Cafe do Brasil. Sort of ironic, since Brasil is famous for their coffee. And their samba dancers. I didn't do that either, though.

Enjoy your holidays! I hope you get everything done that you want to! Don't even think about w***. That is days away.

xo -E

P.S. W*** must be a really bad word, because it is the only word I've ever seen you censor.

Brenda said...

I am beginning to have serious envy over your bright log cabin blocks...(I may just have to wuffle up some energy and make me some - which means digging/sorting through the scrap box, etc.)

TheLab said...

I love the line about rememebering that you sew... Understatement of the year!

Ha!

Michelle said...

Such lovely, lovely projects Shay! I'm particularly loving those rainbow log cabins.

Michelle Ridgway said...

So many lovely things and projects to look at Shay. I am in love with your postcard cushion...YUM! I bet no 1 Grandson will be so chuffed with his new bed gear.

thea said...

You got so much done this week! The cushions, the blocks. Can't wait to see the rainbow quilt. I really like the postcard quilt -- did you make that one too? What's the QAL you're doing? I want to do a red and white one too ..

Paulette said...

Wow, you are really getting things accomplished, sew-istically speaking. I have done a lot of arse sitting and clickety-clicking of the keys this week. It pays the bills, but not half as much fun as it looks like you've been having. Happy for you, though!

Mindy said...

I'm loving all of your handiwork! A girl after my own heart you are, going for the red and white. I'm crazy about the selvage pieces, and the rainbow quilt too! One day I'm going to try paper piecing,but at the present it makes me tired to think about it. I love that you work like me, a little on this and a little on that, but unlike me you actually finish stuff.