Sunday, January 01, 2012

Hello 2012

Happy 2012 to each and every one of you! 

My final sewing finish for 2011 happened yesterday afternoon. It was inspired by Little P showing great promise as a budding chef with mixing cinnamon bun pancakes this week. I'm secretly planning to enter him in Junior Masterchef in 2012. 



And every junior chef needs a special apron. 


So here's a recap of what I did with the other 364 days that made up 2011. 

I grew a lot as a quilter this past year. I tried things I hadn't done before like paper piecing and hand stitching and more complicated blocks and it didn't kill me nor was there more swearing than usual.I'm still avoiding free motion quilting quite successfully and will probably continue to do so as long as there is breath in my body. Some things are beyond even my capabilities. Fiddly baking also makes that list. I was mildly obsessed with quilting last year and here are my finishes for 2011. 


There was lots of other craftiness going on at Maison Pyjamas too. It makes me wonder when I had time to go to work.


And as usual I'm starting the new year with plenty of WIP's. I'm not even going to pretend I'll finish all of these before my ADD kicks in and I start something else.I swear my Dresden quilt is going to be vintage before I get the binding on. 



I publicly bragged I  was going to buy under 100 yards of fabric in 2011. At last count I was up to about 310 yards for the year so I don't think we can call that an unqualified success. Needless to say I wont be making the same vow in 2012 because I obviously have no willpower. I really admire people who do (I'm finger pointing at Kate here) 


I participated in my ever first swap hosted by Kat and my first ever quiltalong hosted by Becks in 2011. Both were a lot of fun. I'm joining in a Farmer's Wife Quilt Along this year with some fabulous people which I'm sure will teach me patience while I try to make 100 different blocks with seams that actually line up.

Little Miss Sunshine and I visited back and forth between her house and mine. It's always fantastic when you meet a blog friend in real life and they even awesomer than they are in the virtual world. 



I finished a computer room makeover, a dining room makeover and a sewing room makeover and there wasn't nearly as much bitching and whining as when we did the kitchen and laundry in 2010. Maybe I'm maturing.  





That just leaves the bathroom (which is truly hideous) and the garden, which I didn't touch in 2011. In fact many plants suffered from involuntary planticide at Maison Pyjamas in 2011. 


I keep waiting for the plant police to knock on my door and drag me away to be locked up for cruelty to plants. I already have my defence prepared and my lawyer on speed dial.  

We lost a car because some peanut wasn't looking where he was going.


 and I almost lost a finger trying to make Assaggio root vegetable soup. 


2011 was the year of the never ending haircut. Every time I went to the hairdresser I got another 3 inches cut off. I started the year looking like this. 


and ended it looking like this. Thank goodness the year ended because another month or two and I would have ended up with a mohawk. 


My Dad managed to be in hospital or requiring medical attention for his birthday, my birthday, my mother's birthday and my sister's birthday. Pure attention seeking. Thank goodness we ran out of birthdays. Kidding Dad. I'm glad it was nothing seriously serious in the end. 


But if you pull the same stunt this year we're going to Grandpa dump you at the hospital and leave you there until all the birthdays are done. 

Miss P  thrilled my heart by stitching something. I had high hopes she had been bitten by the crafting bug but alas she used up all her crafting mojo in one hit for the year. 




And finally, in 2011 I got my arse kicked by a sock monkey. That frigging thing was never going to get finished. It was a blessing when I lost it's face and had a legitimate excuse to put it in a plastic bag, although a demented sock monkey without a face staring at you accusingly is the stuff nightmares are made of.  Susan offered to come on over and help me stick pins in it voodoo style while we drank wine and chanted a spell to rid my house of the demon monkey vibes but in the end I decided death by binning was the kindest thing to do. Sometimes you have to know when to fold. 


Meantime since I had visions of becoming the queen of sock monkey making I'm stuck with these two pairs of socks.


If you're impervious to the possibility of demonic possession I'll send them to you  so you can make your own sock monkeys. Otherwise they'll just sit round here mocking me.  

So, as the sun has set on the old year I have created this pin up board of 2011 memories to remind me of the wonderful people who have shared  my life in the past year. Thank you for being one of them. 


Here's to a fabulous 2012 !

36 comments:

Marg said...

Liar liar pants on fire, there was more swearing than usual on at least one/two/three quilting occasions. FMQing in April, Flurry Quilt, and Pastels Turn Sad, spring to mind.
I'd forgotten about THE VEGETABLE INCIDENT.
Looking at your flickr stream made me feel like I sat and twiddled my thumbs all year. I needed a lie down after seeing all the things you made, you are a rock star for producing all that and working full time. Hmmm you do work full time don't you? Maybe we need proof.
The makeovers this year were amazing, and your sewing room looks fantastic. I hope I can reclaim a room from BP soon, so that I can have a dedicated sewing room too.
Look at you, you spunky young thing, love your latest haircut.
I'll pass on the socks, thanks.

Looking forward to having another fabulous year of laughs and fun and lots of swearing. Watch out I'll be visiting again really soon.
(word verification (toretz) hee hee hee

Elizabeth said...

Is it the new year already where you are? We still have 3 1/2 hours to go.

That is a seriously amazing amount of finished projects, and every one of them is beautiful!

Also, I should have kept track, but I'll wager I bought less than 50 yards of fabric this year. Perhaps less than 40. Just sayin'.

I absolutely love Little P's apron! Terrific way to finish out the year. That is SO adorable! And he is such a handsome little fellow!

Thanks for a really fun 2011. I'm so glad to know you! And here's to a spectacular 2012. Can't wait to see what you get up to.

xo -E

Jackie's Stitches said...

Who counts fabric? Not me! Loved reading your 2011 retrospective.

I always read your posts but don't comment often. You never fail to make me laugh. Happy New Year!

Jennifer said...

Looks as though you had a good year, all up! The sock monkey isn't a monkey, it's a wombat......waste of money, brains and time......happy new year!

Kate said...

I think you missed the part about losing your quilty mojo somewhere, but you sure can't tell it by the number of projects you finished (not just the quilty ones, the remods are fabulous too!).

Since you aren't going to use it, I'm going to borrow the 100 yard limit on new fabric purchases for next year. The "having willpower" gig is getting old.

Looking forward to hearing about your 2012 adventures. Happy New Year!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Yep overachiever for sure ;-) who am I kidding I am so jealous....all those lovely quilts! It looks so much when you put it down in print doesn't it. Fantastic year Shay and here's to another one. Happy New Year xx Loved the photo of the little masterchef, goodness he is growing up fast too!

thea said...

I remember each of those quilts as they were being made .. what a terrific year you had. Thanks for sharing with us.

but boy do I feel like a slacker. 18 quilts you finished. that is amazing.

I love the picture of you with your new haircut.

Little P's apron is really cute.

Happy New Year .. of course we're not there yet, but will be soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like such a great & productive year!
If it's any consilation I also TOTALLY and utterly blew my fabric amount. Not that I've been counting, but to be honest I'm not even sure that it's in the same 1000 as my goal was!
And your haircut is looking gorgeous! Hot stuff :)

seabreezequilts said...

Wow that's a lot of achievements for one year, and you work full time You are one Amazing Crafting Woman. I'm not making any new years resolutions or plans for the coming year I am just going to go with the flow do stuff when I feel like it and just try and aim to be a bit creative every day. So far thanks to the heat it has meant hours of stitching in front of the box.

Mistea said...

Happy New Year to you too!
Love the look at all you accomplished in one year - truly amazing and so many beautiful memories to keep The PJ's clan warm and toasty (not required this week of course!)
Have a wonderful break from the day job!

Canadian Abroad said...

Ha! I just started 2012 - before the rest of the household was up - by ordering fabric. Setting the tone for 2012 I hope.

Send me those socks and I'll never talk to you again. I hope you don't see that threat as an incentive!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Shay!!!! Thanks for all of the laughs, inspirations and **$¥* words in 2011 - little P's apron is super sweet and I can just see him on jr. Junior Masterchef. New hair looks gorgeously sophisticated. Why is everyone downing on those socks? I wouldn't be making a sock monkey from them, I'd be wearing them... is it just me?!? Obviously novelty socks don't do it for as many people as you'd think? You are my full-time working role-model chickadee and I thank you for it - have a scrumptious 2012 - luv Shell xxx

Kirsten said...

Wow..you make me jealous..I do believe I will put up a picture of you and all your finishes in 2011 all over my house to inspire me and keep me going whenever i decide I am to o tired to do something. Amd I should put you up on my computer so everytime I turn on my computer I realise I should be sewing instead.
Thanks for all your wonderful posts. You always make me smile - and that is wonderful

Helsie said...

Amazing! What a productive year ! I've so enjoyed spending time watch your busy life. Thank you very much for sharing your family as well as your quilting news.
I look forward to an interesting year full of fun and laughter.
Cheers

Kris said...

That was one awesome year and I have loved sharing it with you via your blog. I'm looking forward to your next lot of adventures in quiltland! I love your collection of finished quilts! Nice work there Mrs P. I think your finishes entitle you to many more WIPs than you have. Well done!

melissa said...

Happy 2012! Wow you have been busy! Thanks for keeping us so entertained in 2011 and im looking forward to your new adventures in 2012!

PS. i cant believe you let a sock monkey kick your arse! You should have given it to that sock monkey and sewed that MF together!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Holy Crap you got a lot done this past year. I remember you complaining of losing your quilting mojo a lot during the year too. You sure can't tell by the look of all those pictures. Woo Hoo for Shay! May you double the success in 2012 and try new things too like FMQ. There is a great little quilt along for that in small size for practice. Then you can use them as pot holders or sew them all together in a quilt. The button is on my blog on the right hand side. Check it out and give it a whirl. Lots of experts will be giving lots of hints and answering questions to all of our trials and errors. I know you can do it.
I see a great chef in the near future and the apron will help he succeed for sure.
Your hair cuts look a lot like mine did. Too bad I don't have beginning and ending photos.
Can't wait to see what you start and finish next.
Or hear about your next adventure, I love reading your blogs they make me laugh out loud!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Oh yeah............and Happy New Year to you and your family. Many great wishes are sent your way.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Happy New Year to you, and may it be healthy, happy and productive!
...and I like the shorter hair too!

OzRose said...

You should write a book - would be a great read! See you soon xx

Pokey said...

That is a bunch of creative work you have posted, I'm impressed with the list of it, and you should feel really proud! Your sharing joy constantly, and I'm glad to see your sweet face with the new do, lookin' good, girl!
Here's to a happy new year at Maison Pyjamas!
hugs, pokey

Shevvy said...

I have an uncle who was like you dad about 10/15 years ago. Every family event he ended up carted off in an ambulance for about two years. We all got so blaise we would finish off our meals and leave him to it! Needless to say, he is still going strong with no more dramas!

Keep up the good work for 2012, cheers x

AnnieO said...

Little P is too adorable in his apron. So glad your Bella days are frequent. Wow, you did get so many quilts and other projects finished! Feeling slack over here--except I know I didn't buy 300+ yards of fabric. It was surely more than 100 probably, so happy I don't keep track. Loved all your remodeling and think you are brave to use so much white in your home! I like the new hair very much and am sure you could look serious at work with a mohawk. Well, maybe not.

Have a fabulous 2012--looking forward to more fun and frivolity and swearing from Pyjama land, Downunder...

Michelle said...

You've had a fabulously industrious year! I'd be lying if I did not admit to being a bit envious. But then perhaps you'll spur to do better this year. :-)

I am glad we did not have to come and collect you from the looney bin though. ;-)

Kristie said...

Happy 2012 Shay! It's fungo look back on the year....glad you still have a finger and a dad, if not a sock monkey. And it may sooth you to know that any plant entering my possession looks like those within a week!

Paulette said...

You look marvelous, Shay! I like the shorter hair, and your eyes and skin are beautifully luminous in that second photo.

Hey, cute apron for Little P! Your dining room looks like something out of a magazine.

Happy New Year!

Cindy said...

Shay...one of the greatest blessins for me this year was meeting you. I can't thank you enough for sharing what you've done, what you're going to do, your home, your family, your swearing....I love it all! And when I'm having a not so good day, I know I can take a look at your blog and have a good laugh and get my heart in the right place again. I'm still loving the fabric basket from you and am deciding what to do with the scraps, but it will be something great! Maybe a scrappy pair of pyjama bottoms? Well...the chocolate...that lasted as long as I could make it last. :o) Thank you so much for being a part of my 2011!! Here's wishing you many happy moments in 2012! xoxo

Rachaeldaisy said...

Yikes you've been so busy,Lots of great stuff in 2011 and 2012 will be just as much fun, if not more.

Unknown said...

Hey there stranger! You certainly accomplished a lot while I was missing in action! I am sure you will accomplish so much more in 2012! You amaze me!

By the way, the packers would not pack the vegemite. They said it was on the "Hazardous Waste" list! Don't worry, I snuck it to D.C. anyway!

Leanne said...

You were good in 2011. Bring on 2012.

TheLab said...

How in the universe did you finish this post before July! You have cool photos from the entire year and EVERYTHING! I was thinking, I can't even REMEMBER most of 2011!

I'm glad your Dad is doing well, and am praying 2012 won't find him "Grandpa Dumped" (that was too funny, but the kind of funny that makes you feel guilty for laughing. Thanks. I'm a jerk now.)

Perhaps my favorite thing - THE APRON! Excellent work on Little P's adorable first piece of professional chef attire!!!

Lane said...

Great post. I love your humor and your great outlook on life. And, you look terrific!! Enjoy the beginning of the new year. Lane

Jenn said...

Love the new blog look for 2012! Yes, I did start singing that song.... :)

take the cake said...

Shay you should send those socks to me or Sara Lone sock, I will turn them into monkeys for you and happily send them back to you. I have made plenty of sock monkeys in my time and also have a pile of new socks waiting for inspiration but your socks are groovy and are just begging to be born.
Keep up the good blogging and happy new year

Sheila said...

Great Post. Looks like everyone had a pretty good year, well except for the monkey. Here's wishing you a Happy New Year.

Vesuviusmama said...

Holy mackerel, how did you get all that done in one year???