Wednesday, March 03, 2010

War Stories

Nineteen years ago today at 1.55 pm, my daughter was born.Whacked out of my head on Pethidine , (how GREAT is that stuff?) I didn't realise how close she came to not being round until  4 days later when a nurse decided to enlighten me. Thanks Nurse. I didn't sleep again until about 1993.

I never did ask how many stitches I had. All I know is that the doc spent a LOT of time in my nether-bits doing something. Again I blame the pethidine. Normally if a guy I've only known for an hour is poking round my privates I'm  asking pointed questions and insisting he at least  buy me dinner first. Eventually my mother , who is usually the soul of tact , (unlike her daughter) said "What are you doing down there....sewing a patchwork quilt?" That I do recall with abundant clarity despite the drugs. Good one Patty.

At one point they  tucked something back in there ... I've always been convinced whatever it was never ended up back in the place it fell out of. Heck, I don't even know what it was. For all I know it could have been my tonsils.  I just know my stomach has never looked remotely the same since.

Being a parent is the most enduring relationship I've ever had. It's been full of love, frustrating , amazing,  exhausting, emotional, challenging  and incredible. Often all in the same 24 hour period. And that was just yesterday.

There are so many platitudes to describe parenting. "Time goes by so fast " "They're only young for such a short time" Enjoy it while it lasts". Each age has something great about it , and something less great about it. Enjoy each bit because when you get to this end it feels like it was done on the blink of an eye.

So Happy Birthday Miss Pyjamas, you've certainly made the ride exciting, and  never dull. Love you once, love you twice, love you more than.......

P.S. By the way someone once told me if you google "google" google explodes. Not true ..I just did it. We're all still here.

P.P.S Oh and I hate my new photo editing program. The rest of my computer completely kicks arse.

P.P.P.S I was writing this post 5 hours ago when Little Pyjamas decided he wanted to experience his first trip to the hospital  (on his mothers birthday no less- this kid is going to be as much of an attention seeker as his mum....sigh) henceforth the reason it's actually being posted on the third not the second as it should have been. And maybe that was my punishment for googling google!

7 comments:

TheLab said...

Good news! It's the SECOND of March here! (WEIRD) You made me think I lost a day. I was like, I've been writing the date wrong ALL day! It's the 3rd!?

Anyway, I can still say Happy Birthday, Miss Pyjamas! Your birthday is still going strong in the States!

TheLab said...

And hope Little P is OK... boys are wild, aren't they? They sure do know how to get themselves into hospitals. Hope the cutie pie is OK now...

Brenda said...

Today is my baby boys' birthday too - it is still the 2nd here in the states. It's true, if the kids don't kill you, it's all worth it! (Patchwork quilt - ha ha ha)

Shay said...

Little Pyjamas is doing fine. Viral infection. The worst that's going to happen is he'll be dosed up on Panadol and Nurofen for a couple of days and need lots of cuddles.

I think Miss P learned what worry was last night!

Shay said...

Happy Birthday to your son too Brenda.

Lisa said...

So true, each age has something good about it. Sometimes I try too hard because I know they'll be grown up soon- but there are good things in those ages too! Crazy- we'd be sad if they didn't grow up, but we're sad when they do. Go figure. =)

Threeundertwo said...

LOL at the tonsils line! What a great post. Happy birthdays!