Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sharing the Love

The Universe is  trying to tell me something. I’m just going with it.



Last week,  Mama Feoneafey gave me a Beautiful Blogger award. I was really flattered by the honour but hesitated to post about it. Despite all appearances, I am uncomfortable about being singled out at work, in life, and in blog land. This week, The Chicken’s Consigliere has graced me with an award as well. The universe clearly wants me to do something. So I’ve decided to roll the announcement into one post and thank both of these lovely ladies for thinking enough of me and my little patch of blogger to nominate me for these awards.

And in the words of Sally Field - “I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!” I love Sally. Especially when she flies. Not so much when she has lots of whiny dysfunctional grown up children.

So the rules for the award were:

Thank the giver. or in my case giver(s).  Reveal 7 things about yourself. Pass it on to five bloggers you admire.

I was going to turn it round on all of you and make you ask me 7 questions. But I guess that’s not in the spirit of these awards. Bummer. I’d like to know what you want to know.

OK these are my 7 things :

At the rehearsal prior to our wedding, the celebrant took us through the order of the proceedings so we were clear what would be happening when. I had already practiced being married from 1989-1992, so this was really for Mr. P's benefit.   On the actual day , during the reading the celebrant paused at the end of the question...”What is love ?” for dramatic effect. In my nervousness I panicked thinking “Crap, I’m sure we didn’t rehearse this part!"  So being the cool cucumber that I am I said  “Bugger- I didn’t know there was going to be a test “ . It broke the ice. Everyone relaxed. We got married. The rest is history.

I am allergic to all the good drugs. In fact Mr. P has just come back from the chemist after getting cough medicine for me , that does not contain ephedrine. I also cannot take benzodiazepines.  Bummer. Looks like I’m just  going to have to deal with my life without chemical enhancement.

There are 12 people left on the face of the earth that smoke cigarettes. I am one of them. Don’t lecture me.

I wet the bed until I was almost 12. Professionally, I am now a toilet training expert. Coincidence? I think not....

I once spent 60 hours straight in my pyjamas to win a bet. Not a bet for money . Just for Glory. And in that time I had to leave the house to go to the shops. For Cigarettes. Don’t lecture me.

I am planning to write a series of posts called “Shameful Secret Sunday”. I am afraid I will never run out of things to confess. And that nobody will be surprised by any of my posts.

I cannot be seen outside of my front gate in track/yoga pants. Nor can I wear runners with jeans. I think if I did either of those things my head would explode. It’s fine if you want to do it. I just can’t. I have a number of weird rules I live my life by. That is just one of them.

So the following people can  snaffle this award and put it on your blog or in your sidebar or both because I'm sharing the love.




The 5 bloggers I admire (aside from the two people who gave me these awards ) are :

a clever title goes here- The Lovely Leslie. Leslie makes me laugh . Out loud. Often. And every so often she slips in a post that is so deep and profound it actually makes me think about stuff I don’t usually think about. I love that Leslie can have me laughing with one post and really thinking with the next. You have to read her posts about her restaurant job- funny!

Calicos in Bloom – Lisa was the first person who liked my blog enough to make repeat visits. In addition she is a lovely, thoughtful person to boot. And she is a prolific quilter and she doesn’t use patterns. This is one talented lady folks. Plus she's my oreo dealer.

The Sarcastic Quilter – You know why. I think Beck is one of my long lost relatives. Mrs. Sarcastic  was the first person who ever emailed me directly. Now if I didn't get an email from her every few days I'd probably worry.  Some people you just connect with. Hilarious , Warm and  when I get to the US, I'm inviting myself over. Consider yourself warned. And you better be holding two wine glasses when I get there.

Sunshine?Paradise? -Marg lives in one of the most beautiful parts of Australia. She crochets , she bakes, she has a lovely home, and she quilts. These are just a few of her talents. And yet she remains one of the most down to earth people I have "met" in Blogland. 

That man Quilts? Yes, if you haven’t seen Lane’s blog wander on over. He’s a man and he quilts. I have to say I think it’s way cool that a man can have as much fun with fabric as I can. Genuine, honest , and  he calls it like he see's it. I like those qualities a lot.  

I’m changing the rules about this award because I’m a break the rules kind of chick and because I think we’re all adult enough to decide our own rules. And because that's what dictators do, and I'm the dictator of my own blog.  So.... there are no rules.I’m giving you this award to do with as you will because I like you and because I believe you truly are a beautiful blogger. Enjoy! . If you want to pass this along to others you can decide who , how many, and when.  I’m happy to be able to share some bloggy love without coming off like a weirdo stalker.

One last thing .  Brenda's blog,  Meandering Quilt Thoughts  has been featured in the latest issue of "Quilter's Home" magazine as one of the " 55 Rad blogs" mentioned on their cover. So hop on over there so you can  brag to your friends you know someone famous. And while you're there have a look at her quilting, which is as beautiful as the lady herself.


P.S. I'm worried about the use of the word "see's". I dont think thats an actual word.

13 comments:

Brenda said...

Great post and I love learning all about my friends in blogger-land. Thanks for the shout out on my famous-ness - he he he. My friends at my bee were quite impressed too. I thought I'd get a ton of new comments, etc. on the ole' blog, but as my hubby says, "maybe they haven't read their copy yet" - oh well. P.S. I have two kids that smoke and they both wet the bed until around 11 or 12 years of age - maybe it's connected?? I won't lecture.

Shay said...

There's a research project in there somewhere Brenda with the bed wetting/smoking thing. Freud probably could have found the connection but he's dead.

Maybe you got an advance copy Brenda. Mailouts are always done before an issue hits the stands too. Plus if people are like me , they read snippets of magazines to make it last , and maybe haven't got to your bit yet.

I think it's wonderful!

Lisa said...

Thanks, Shay! While I may be into quilting, I'm not so sure about all the blogging "how-to's"! Thanks again for listening to all my rambling, and for the award; but "come and get your award" has me lost. =)

Lisa said...

Ha ha, I just noticed your "people that keep me from doing housework" list on the side, I myself seem to procrastinate on here!

vawriter said...

I agree on the Leslie thing==great blog!

Now are you glad I bossed---oops, I meant ENCOURAGED you into posting your award?

And I don't get it--you went out in your PJs for cigarettes (I'm holding my tongue since I smoked for 20 years, which I refer to as my extended period of temporary insanity) but yoga pants are a no-no?

Marg said...

As always a great post. Thank you. What's with the - you can wear PJ's but you can't go out in track pants/yoga pants. I am starting to worry about you. Smoking, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh well, I can console myself with the fact that although you are not a lush, you do have a vice.

Shay said...

Okay in my own defence..(I seem to write that a lot ) The pyjamas thing was once , maybe twice...15 times tops in my life. I think I worry that all my wobbly bits will gross people out in public if I wear yoga pants.

Lisa, I emailed your award.

vawriter, I have been temporarily insane for over 25 years.

Marg, that is my only vice. Aside from food.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I just want you to know that my husband has remarked more than once his admiration for smokers. Neither of us have ever smoked, but if Australia is anything like the US (where they have banned smoking in public) he hates the "man" telling us what and what not to do. We should live in New Hampshire where their motto is "live free or die"....but we don't!

Lisa said...

Haha! I love the pyjamas bet thing. We spell it "pajamas" over here. But anyway, I wear mine all the time. I could so win a bet like that. Hands down! I make sure I change them so that the bus driver that picks up my kindergartner knows that I DO shower and change. I just take the shower and put a new pair of pajamas on. :0) I have a rough life.

Now I am off to read some of these new-to-me blogs you have listed.

I like your blog- you're funny!

TheLab said...

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!! I have not been on since Friday, and this is what I come back to!? MY FIRST AWARD!!!!!!!!! ]

I'm in SHOCK! That a girl as hilarious and talented as you could actually see fit to give ME an award is simply amazing!!!

WOW!

THANK YOU!

I can't wait to call my husband and tell him!!! Oh wow, he gets the WEIRDEST calls from me during the day... usually not about work, interestingly enough.

I'm just still in shock. Which is why I don't know how to end this comment. So, sorry for rambling. Apparently, I don't know how to show gratitude other than by rambling!!!

THANK YOU MRS P!!!!!!!!!

TheLab said...

p.s. (still here, sorry ;) I don't know how to do all of these tricky buttons and such. You're way smarter than I am. But I'll try. Just know that if I don't post it right, it wasn't for lack of trying!!!

p.p.s. I can't wait to check out the other award winners' blogs!

Shay said...

Leslie, You're so sweet.

I can email you the button if you want or you can just lift it off my blog.

I notice you are at 16 posts for March and it's not yet the 31st there ....will you break your PB for posts this month ! I am holding my breath waiting to see if you can pull this off. Oh and thanks so much for mentioning that in your original post. It had never occured to me and this month I amaware I failed abysmally to beat last month and that January is my PB so far...sigh

Shay said...

Oh I did beat February...now if I can just come up with three more posts in the next hour and twenty minutes I'll be a winner !