Friday, March 30, 2012

Favourite Things Friday



It's a good thing that Fridays seem to roll around fairly quickly. In fact it's like they happen once a week or something. And I'm posting FTF on Friday (unlike last week) and I'm hoping for brownie points in my own head because I'm doing it early. That hasn't happened in a while. 

I've been practising counting my blessings this week because I've been finding it all too easy to focus on being negative and more than a teeny bit cranky. And I've found that picking a few key highlights of the week as they've occurred has helped me keep things in perspective. It would have been all too easy to think that the whole week was pretty ordinary otherwise.


I visited this gorgeous little muffin last night. This picture was taken earlier in the week and when he saw it he commented to his mother "I'm so pretty Mummy"  I don't think we need to worry too much about his self esteem. I am utterly besotted by my grandson and along with Miss P he is one of the best gifts I have ever been blessed with. 

I found time to work on a couple of sewing projects this week. I'm adopting the slowly slowly catchy monkey approach. And there's that other story about the tortoise and the hare as a back up.



You may recall me mentioning my oven decided to go on strike a week or so ago. After gnashing my teeth about having to pay for repairs on a less than 4 year old oven (Smeg no less !) I remembered that based on past experience with an utter lemon of an oven that require 4 element replacements in 6 years I had planned for such an eventuality when we bought the new oven. Thank goodness for extended warranties. The oven dude is coming to fix it at no cost to us this afternoon.  I'll be back to murdering innocent cupcakes or unsuspecting whoopie pies this weekend.

Exchanging mirth filled emails with several people this week has kept me going. If you think I'm out there when I blog post you should see the emails I send my friends....thank you girls for keeping me sane amongst the madness. Tummy overhangs, porridge baking recipes, and debates about whether I should clean my oven so the oven repair guy didn't talk about me later to his mates were among this weeks topics. 

And finally ...drum roll please. I finalised our flights for the September trip to Hawaii. Two weeks of fun and sun bought and paid for so we're really going. It's never a reality until you have that flight itinerary in your hot little hand...Im starting to make a list of every quilt store in Hawaii in preparation.

So a mish mash of little favourite moments this week. Feel free to link up your own favourites so I can share the things that made your heart sing. 


20 comments:

Paulette said...

Look at that sweet little boy! How adorable.

I never go for those extended warranties, but I'm glad to hear yours is coming through for you. Hope they get it fixed and ready to burn something again soon. Kidding aside, your baked stuff always looks amazing, so I really don't know what you're talking about there.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Must be something in the air. New hot water system here this week. I agree with your grandson's opinion of himself. Some lovely favourites there Shay.

Elizabeth said...

That Little P. Such a handsome little man.

What you look for you will find, so looking for the positive is a good thing. So glad your oven is under warranty.

And those flights to Hawaii! Now that is something really awesome!

xo -E

Kirsten's Cooking said...

Happy for you about: the oven, the boy, and the upcoming trip. I need to give myself a kick in the butt occasionally, too. Perspective changes everything!

Thanks for keeping all of us on the positive side!!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Your grandson is so pretty! No grandchildren yet for us... But I love seeing other's grandchildren. Have a great weekend!

Kristie said...

Sounds like more than a few positives even among all the BS incidents. Some weeks roll like that! Good for you for focussing on the good, I often just bitch and drink ;)

Canadian Abroad said...

Little P is right - he is very pretty! And hurrah for tummy overhangs, porridge and dirty ovens!

Mistea said...

Happy favourites - things to celebrate that make life prettier.
Your boy sure is handsome. Hawaii here come the P's!!
Fixed oven now that is a novelty especially with no out of pocket costs to you.
Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a "Darling Boy" Little P is! How could your day not be better when you look at that pretty face.
Not sure if Hawaii is ready for you but you are certainly ready for that island paradise. It will be wonderful for you and your Mr. P.
Have a good week!
Helen (Nanci's P.T.)

Marg said...

Little P is very pretty indeed, that is a gorgeous photo.
Yay for your Hawaii trip, I'm still waiting for you to tell me which flights we're on, lol!
Fingers crossed for the oven back up and running so you can continue your baking experiments!

Angie in SoCal said...

Too funny - clean the oven before the repair guy comes - sounds like something I would do -hehe. Your quilt projects are lovely and so colorful. I would like to have them around to brighten my days when I see them.

Shevvy said...

Cranky - you! Never.

Especially when booking a trip to Hawaii! Can you smuggle Little P in with you?

AnnieO said...

Oh, he's definitely pretty! You have no excuse NOT to be besotted :)

Glad your brain outsmarted you and an extended warranty actually came into play. The broiler in our oven has decided not to work and it's probably a thermostat. I've been ignoring it for at least a year.

Pretty quilt!

Hope the weekend and upcoming trip (which island?) help sustain you during the sure to be coming trials of the workweeks!

Sara said...

Sympathies on your oven - our washing machine is out of service at the moment and that's no fun either.

seabreezequilts said...

I think next week I need to start thinking of the good things, this week has just gone like a blur and I just had the energy this yesterday to watch a movie and unpick half of my crochet circles because I found a major mistake. Been a bit whinney myself lately and from now on going to focus on those positives. Love your bright quilts going to love to see them finished so keep trudging on 15 minutes does work. Off to a 50th tonight and 2 60ths next month good that's scarey

thea said...

What a nice list of favorites beginning with Little P and ending with Hawaii .. fantastic!

Larri said...

Well, while I love this post about all things positive, I must say you are one of my good blessings. For without your witty blog posts, Shay, I would not snort coffee out my nose for all the guffawing while I read. ☺ Happy Sunday night, friend!

Cindy said...

You sure have a lot to be thankful for, don't you? How sweet is all this? Your grandson truly is adorable (I am pretty sure he takes after you.) and your projects,oven mending, cupcake murdering and Hawaii trip....and I see I've missed a couple posts prior to this one as well...you are one busy chic! And the fact you keep up with your blogging along with all that you do...girlfriend...you are my hero!!

Char said...

He's so right! He is pretty!

Kate said...

Definitely a good looking boy. The little girls better watch out for lots of heartbreak when he grows up (I know, don't go there. But they get there so fast!).