Friday, March 16, 2012

Favourite Things Friday



It's still Friday here, although only just. I've been flat out today with Little P related things, which also coincidentally is the subject of my Favourite Things Friday post this week.

One of the cool things about being a Bella is that you get to experience all sorts of kid related activities again. The even better thing is that when you work with kids you get to pick the brains of everyone you work with for all sorts of cheap but fun ideas for play when your own brain goes blank.

I decided a week ago that Little P had outgrown his manky collection of bath toys and needed new ones. Coincidentally two of the therapists I work with had just been shopping for toys for one of their water play groups so I took every great idea they had and went and bought all this for under 12 bucks.



Now I have to pry Little P out of the bath.

The biggest hits ? The spray bottle (cost a whole dollar ) and the noodle box Mr. P drilled holes in (which cost about 40 cents )


I have been promising Little P I would make him some playdough for about two weeks and we did that together this morning. (I am the Playdough Queen )  He insisted on red. Then he spent two hours playing with it. I just chucked half the contents of my kitchen utensil drawer on the table for implements and he was totally happy, proving yet again that kids don't need expensive toys to use their imaginations. We all need to take a lesson from that. Sometimes we grown ups complicate things unnecessarily.





Enjoy your weekend and whatever you decide to do-have fun. Keep it simple. 





20 comments:

Bonnie said...

I so agree with you. Simple lets them use their imaginations.

bj said...

Ahhh, so glad he loves all this...you are such a good mommy. :)

thea said...

Love the bath toys and such a great idea. Little P looks like he's having a wonderful time with the playdough. what recipe do you use?

Unknown said...

A great idea! I used to have a great time making rice krispies balls with the kids before bath!
Messy but fun.

Angie in SoCal said...

Oh, what fun! Those were the days. I go to my grandkids house these days and their rooms are filled with toys - and what are they playing with? The box it came in or the cardboard inserts - LOL. Have fun, Bella!

Terri said...

What a cutie he is! He also has impecable tastes when it comes to color... I like red, too. Our kids loved the boxes things came in... you'd think we would have just gave them boxes then.
Thanks for sharing your sweetie.
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie! Your postings remind me of the wonderful times I spent with our grandson. My "Darling Boy" will be fourteen in June but we still have great times together all of which began with bath toys and making things. Lucky Little P and lucky you!
Cheers,
Helen (Nanci's Private Teacher)

Marg said...

You are so right. Kids don't need expensive toys, especially when it comes to using their imaginations. Looks like you all had lots of fun.
Now that you have outed yourself as the Queen of Playdough, you must share the recipe, please!

seabreezequilts said...

Squid would play with a bucket of water for hours, and don't talk to me about wombat stew. Don't read that book to Little p you will have buckets full of crap from your garden mixed with water for weeks.

Suzanne said...

I just adore all your creative and inexpensive toys. I've often said for myself, being raised in the early 1950s, that it was the best time to be a kid. We were allowed to explore the neighborhoods and create our own world in our back yards. This was pre TV, computers and organized sports for kids. Imaginations were allowed to run rampant. Great that Little P has such an inventive mom.

Lisa said...

What an awesome Grandma you are, looks like fun! And he is really growing up! Amazing how simple of toys they do like.... have a great weekend!

Canadian Abroad said...

Finally, a use for a melonballer!!

Mistea said...

Those are very cool toys in all the best colours. Love the play dough fun.
Enjoy Little P

Michelle Ridgway said...

I think I might just have to steal some of those ideas for my grandies. Love the pics of your cute little man having such fun.

OzRose said...

What a cutie Little P is :) Hope youre feeling better Shay - missed you today :( xx

Elizabeth said...

Playdough is awesome! I also love Legos. And the word manky which is only related because Little P's bath toys were deemed such.

You are an awesome Bella! And Little P is SO cute!

xo -E

Nicky said...

cardboard boxes and blankets!

Pokey said...

What a happy Friday share! Fun times for the little man, and joy in your heart for the happiness that simplicity brings. Love it!
:-}pokey

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I used to be a family day care mum and I agree usually the simplest things are the best :-) PS here is a tip put a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid into the playdough mixture when you make it and it well keep in the fridge for months!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just came across your blog on The Thread Catcher's blog. Cute boy you have there. Will be following your blog posts :)