Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Copycat

Saturday night we officially celebrated Miss P's birthday , after she and I spent three hours at the spa getting primped, pampered and polished. I wish I could do that every week but since I spent the equivalent of the gross national debt getting so shiny and relaxed, I'll be saving that for a "sometimes" treat . And in my world sometimes is about once every four years.

I swear this is my last birthday related shot until July. I just wanted to show you the cake and Miss P all gussied up.  


Birthday celebrations finally done, I turned my attention to doing exactly what I wanted for the rest of the long weekend. Everywhere I looked people were showing off things I loved and just had to make or that reminded me of things I have been meaning to do forever. So I hung on to other peoples coat tails for the weekend and just went with their brilliant ideas. It saved me a ton of brain power. 

I totally stole this idea for speckled eggs from Clare over at Clare's Craftroom. Last year I snaffled her idea for Fabric Carrots for the Easter Bunny...it seems Clare is my go to girl for Easter making - either that or I'm a craft stalker


Linda posted about a lemon slice she made which prompted me to recall I have been meaning to try a ginger and lemon slice for about a month. I finally got round to that this weekend. I accidentally poured in a teaspoon of yellow food colouring thinking it was vanilla and ended up with very vivid icing, but we've come to expect a minor disaster everytime I do something that resembles baking.


Helen posted about breakfast being her  favourite thing on Friday and I stole one of her ideas and made some bacon and egg cups for breakfast on Monday.


And Ulla from Ulla's Quilt World  made the cutest little chicken pouches for Easter and provided a free template so that other people could make some too. I was all over that idea and had visions of making multiples for Easter gifts.


Mine ended up beakless (it's inside somewhere having disappeared in the turning process )and you'll also notice MY chicken has moulting tail feathers and is vision impaired..... 


Other sewing that didn't involve maiming animals has happened over the past few days and I'll share that with you tomorrow. 

25 comments:

Shevvy said...

Fantastic birthday cake - not going to say anything about the chicken!

Canadian Abroad said...

HaHaHa! Maimed a chicken. Love it! Great crafting but where is the photo of you all gussied up?

Unknown said...

I love a good stalker , great job on the eggs and the chook well...
great job there too !

Marg said...

The birthday cake looks fabulous.
Stay away from sewn animals, for your own sanity, although the results are great for a pick me up and a chuckle for the rest of us.

Marg said...

Oh and thank you thank you for getting rid of word verification.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helsie said...

Now that's what I call a cake!! Sounds like it has been a memorable birthday.
I'm still laughing about the chicken !
cheers

Anonymous said...

YAY no word verification. That was doing my head in with it's new 2 word, hard to read, test all the brain power and frustration level Kat has thing it had going on.

Thanks for the laugh. Your posts never cease to give me a smile. Miss P looks wonderful. Where's the photo of you and her looking sparkly together though? Lol
And how on earth could you mistake yellow colouring for vanilla?

Mehehe don't even get me started on that chicken. I'm still chuckling about it now

Jennifer said...

Doesn't Miss P scrub up nicely? And that cake, oh that cake.....how gorgeous....I won't mention the chicken.

Shocking Hocking said...

hahahahah - great chook - defo a keeper :)

Sue said...

WOW @ cake. Food colouring instead of vanilla....chicken killing....I empathise completely. I am so glad it is not just me!

Unknown said...

Your daughter looks so beautiful! I would love to have a spa day like that! The cake is wonderful! I love it.

I am off to get the chicken pattern for myself! Hope I don't loose the beak also!

Paulette said...

Hey, did you make that zebra stripe cake? It's fabulous! Miss P is positively radiant.

Love your many creations here. That chicken pouch is super cute!

AnnieO said...

Pretty snazzy birthday outfit and tiara to go with that cake. Her satisfied smile says it all!

Glad craft stalking was successful, and the bit of yellow food coloring in at least the appropriate part of the dessert. I want some of the bacon and egg cups this Sunday brunch, please. The maimed chicken is hilariously cute. Call it a successful weekend all around, I'd say!

Kirsten said...

wow what a great birthday cake...and Miss P looks really happy.
I love the easter eggs..so prety, gotta make some myself I guess.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Many Happies to Miss P. Awesome cake. I hope you all had a great time. That slice looks yummo.

thea said...

you know that imitation is the greatest form of flattery (or something like that), so you are paying a lot of people a great compliment. Miss P looks lovely. Sounds like you had a wonderful, if not long, birthday celebration. what does her sash say? I love the crown.

Sounds like a busy and productive weekend!

Anonymous said...

Great cake. What a way to spend a day at a spa. Happy Birhday to Miss P. Beakless chooks maybe you have started a new breed of chook!! I have made other sorts of chooks and those beaks aren't easy, way to go putting them inside after the turning process!!!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Great photo of Miss P and the cake...oh ... my ... god!...that is one awesome cake! Glad you got to do whatever you pleased for the rest of the long weekend...lemon food colouring, vanilla...oops! but hey at least it was the right colour for a lemon slice...mmmm the chicken...oh well the rest of your weekend looks like it went well...enjoy your week...

Dianne Neale said...

Wow - Birtday girl and birthday cake look great - shame there's no photo of the proud mum!!
The lemon and ginger slice sounds heavenly, and I love the yellow icing, but as far as the chicken goes, maybe you should stick with baking!!!!

Mistea said...

mmmm nice eggs they certainly will brighten up your Easter.
The chickens do look nice sitting around their eggs over at Ulla's place I can see why you dreamt of an entire flock.
Looks like Miss P enjoyed the party - hope you ate a big slice of that cake.
Enjoy the non work bits of the rest of your week.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Pretty as a Princess and her cake is Out of this World! I love it....well worth the dosh :-)

Elizabeth said...

Miss P was thoroughly spoiled! And she's such a beautiful lady! I'm coming to your house when it is my birthday next. Mr. Bug decided to have surgery the day before my last one. He didn't mention a thing about my birthday until he was in recovery and loopy from the anesthesia and pain meds. I seriously thought he'd forgotten. The day before was a really LONG day at the same-day surgery center, followed by a trip to the emergency room at 10:00 pm that night and I started my birthday out in a "holding cell" hospital room (that is the only place they could fit us) pacing back and forth trying to stay awake while waiting for them to let us go home. I spent the rest of my birthday running errands for Mr. Bug, picking up prescriptions and fetching foods he had cravings for. I had to fetch my own birthday dinner (which they messed up), eat it by myself and there wasn't even one cake. I tried not to let it bother me, but clearly I still have issues.

LOVE those cute little Easter eggs! Love them. You are a truly amazing woman, with everything you do for other people, the way you don't take yourself too seriously and the creativity that you put into everything.

xo -E

Gmama Jane said...

I actually chuckled out loud over your chicken pouch. I hadn't planned to comment but that chuckle changed my mind.
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Vesuviusmama said...

Laughing out loud at your beak less chicken!