Friday, April 02, 2010

Dear Alabama ...I'm Sorry

Dear Alabama,

During the week Robin Williams (actor and comedian ) said some things on “The Late Show” about Australia and Australians, and consequently some of  Australia got a bit cranky.



We are known for poking fun at ourselves. It’s one of the things we do best . We don’t take much seriously. It’s one of our lovable characteristics as a culture,but apparently it’s not OK if someone else pokes fun at us.

Robin used the word “rednecks" to describe Australians at large and apparently that offended our Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd. He decided to even up the score  by wading into the debate,  acting like an 8 year old schoolboy and sticking his own foot in his mouth by calling Alabamians “rednecks”. I’m not sure why he chose Alabama  unless it’s because he hasn’t mastered the alphabet yet and could only pick a state that started with A. So really his jibe could have just as easily been aimed at Alaska or Arkansas.

Yes..I know...it has all the hallmarks of playground taunting and about the same amount of finesse. Apparently our PM is not big on diplomacy. Neither is Robin Williams , but that’s not his bread and butter. Bob Riley , the governor of Alabama , has weighed in to defend the people of Alabama , and good lord – he sounds like the most coherent,sane person on the planet in comparison .

I notice your President has been noticeably silent. Maybe he can’t think of a better come back than “You’re ALL Rednecks”

This looks like it’s shaping up to be an international incident. It wouldn’t surprise me if Australia puts an embargo on exports as first step to teaching you guys a lesson. No Vegemite or Fosters. Take that America!

I am writing to say sorry. On behalf of Australia. On behalf of Australians . On behalf of our half wit Prime Minister.

I would have written to say sorry sooner, but I thought it was an April Fools Day joke. But sadly the only fool here is the fool running Australia . I'm sorry.  More for us than for you Alabamians. Because we have to live with this guy running our country and offending people on our behalf for the next two years. But I’m sorry you got dragged into it.

And, Alabama despite what our Prime Minister implies I don’t think you’re a bunch of rednecks.
But if K-Rudd says :


Let’s get ready to rummmmmmmmbbbbbbble....

You better get ready to run. 

P.S. I thought Robin Williams was hilarious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. P. Don't worry. Did you ever hear the song Sweet Home Alabama? They take it all in stride. Robin is one of the funniest people I've ever seen in an interview and I read somewhere that he is COMPLETELY out of control. He gets started and watch out. You just don't know....

Marg said...

Three cheers for Mrs P, boo for K Rudd. I thought Robin Williams was hilarious, some people just don't have a sense of humour......Kevin!

Shay said...

The whole thing is BIG news over here still.


Leslie, Sandra Bullock is OK. And so is Sam Worhtington. (Good Aussie bloke) And I'm sure there are a few others. But I agree with many of your sentiments.

The whole thing is hilarious and has been blown way out of proportion.

Lisa said...

Hadn't heard about any of this, but the person running our country is one for us to be embarrassed about too. Can't wait till somebody else is in there!