Friday, March 22, 2013

Favourite Things Friday


I have a very different kind of favourite for you today. I've debated about writing this particular post because I rarely talk about my Monday to Friday persona on my blog. There has been a ton of revision and editing because I'm always conscious that at some point a parent I work with may stumble across my blog and see the "real" me. But what happened to me yesterday was such an epiphany and has been my favourite thing by far this week so I'm taking the leap and sharing it this week. 

I've had a whinge or two (or possibly three ) lately about how busy I've been at work. Like "crazy busy". "Don't get to eat lunch most days" busy. Like "if my phone rings one more time with something else I need to do right bloody now I'm going to explode" busy.

I work at a pretty high level of busy most of the time and I think I'm pretty good at juggling and responding to individual situations.  But since I went back to work post holidays it's been insane. Usually I have a balance between the tricky stuff and the other stuff. But lately work has been all about intense situations that can't be resolved in a day or week or month. To be dramatic about it (and we all know I do love me some drama) I feel like I'm running but I'm not sure what I'm running towards or whether I'll ever catch it. And I've tried all the things I know that would usually decrease my stress levels and help me put things in perspective and I'm coming up with a big fat zero. 

Back track to yesterday morning. I had an appointment for the whole morning at a kindergarten to see one of the little munchkins I work with. I'm thinking of the two other appointments I have crammed into my afternoon as well, and wondering when I'm going to have time to return phone calls, and emails and do all the other things I need to get done before I go home. And since I have about 30 hours of work racked up behind me and I know I'm going to generate another 10 hours worth today I'm feeling beyond overwhelmed. 

It's a well known joke among some kindergarten directors that when I walk into a kindergarten where I know multiple children instant chaos ensues for at least 5 minutes post arrival because of the level of excitement that my appearance tends to generate. It's very cool to be the "Flavour of the Moment " for that 5 minutes.   I get pulled around by the hand while Child A , B or C drags me round to see their art work , tries to pull me into playing with trains/in the sandpit , or brings me a book so we can read together.  

So yesterday I walked into the kindergarten and dropped my bag and was immediately surrounded.  I had one child recount with excitement the last time we saw one another which happened to be outside of work when I was buying Christmas decorations with Little P in mid December , three months ago. 

Another little person that I normally see at home, looked at me quizzically trying  to place me because he knew he knew me but my appearance at kindy was completely out of context. It took him about 15 seconds to work it out and then I got the biggest smile ever before he flung himself at my legs for a huge squeezy hug and then dragged me off to a corner to do puzzles. 

Another child legged it the length of the playground to come and say hello yelling my name the whole way. You know what's awesome? Having someone that excited to see you. 

I had a rainbow painted in my honour, I was spontaneously offered a half eaten cracker and a bite of banana to share at eating time because I'd totally forgotten to bring my snack, and I played in the sandpit without my shoes on. I became a one woman cheer squad for two kids going up and down the slide, helped make a cubby house out of old sheets and helped someone choose a library book  to take home (Russell the Sheep in case you're interested in what the 4 year olds are reading at the moment)  

Kids have a way of putting things in perspective without even doing it on a conscious level.   Kids tend to live in the moment and take great delight and joy in most of the things they do. Disclaimer: Vegetable eating may not be on that list. Kids tend to be excited about things that we as adults would barely notice. Three hours at kindy yesterday was all it took for me to gain the gift of perspective again. I walked out of there feeling lighter and calmer than I have in a very long time because a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds showed me how it should be done. 

In my profile I make mention of working with the pre-school crowd. What I don't make mention of is that all of the children I work with have disabilities or significant delays. Every day things for some of those children can be really difficult. Sharing can be hard, waiting can be tricky, and sometimes social exchanges and interaction can be a bit of a minefield. Yesterday I was reminded that even though I may feel that I'm running round in a circle like a headless chook that the things I do really can make a difference in the long run. And that I can still be an honorary kid when I want to. I just have to seize the moment. 



34 comments:

9patchnurse said...

Great post Shay. It's nice to be reminded sometimes that what we do matters to someone. I hope you feel more caught up soon, it's no fun when the stress keeps up long term. Hang in there!

Lisa Marie said...

Beautifully said ! Children are magical and help us see whats really important don't they.

Mistea said...

Fantastic when the day job can be a favourite. Especially in amongst the stress that it can cause.
Children are the best teachers too.
Enjoy your weekend.

Lorraine said...

glad you enjoyed your morning at kindy...seems like you got a lot out of it! Hope the crazy busy-ness slows down soon! technology with its instant-ness is great but it adds an extra dimension to the work day with emails and the like.

MB in MI said...

Really enjoyed your post! :-)

Marti said...

What a great story. That level of excitement with kids means you are very much loved. I doubt the dentist gets that same reaction.

I've wondered before what you do for a living. What a hard job that must be. But it sounds like it is also very fulfilling.

Sooli said...

I'm guessing that yesterday was the day that reminded you why you do what you do! I love kindy age kids, no pretenses - if they don't like you they tell you and if they do like you they show you!

Sue SA said...

Kids really put life into perspective dont they! I always wondered how my mother put up with a room full of kinder kids 5 days a week, but having my own 4 year old I have learned how delightful they are and how special those milestones are, even the smallest ones - even more so when you work with special needs kids I guess. DS2 let one of the Mums paint his face at Kinder yesterday, he was so proud he had to leave it on, so Dad could see it when he got home (off plane at 9pm) even though he knew he would be asleep!

Marie said...

oh Shay -- you are so blessed!

Paulette said...

This post is just plain awesome. Like you!

Vesuviusmama said...

I love it! Wonderful favorite thing! I being that busy stinks, I know, but making a difference in the life of someone - that's the best feeling in the world.

seabreezequilts said...

Lovely post Mrs P it is great when you are appreciated for what you do and you know you are making a difference in someones life.

Kris said...

Best favourite ever Shay!

thea said...

What a wonderful favorite! Glad you were able to get de-stressed and that you could see how much you are loved and appreciated.

AnnieO said...

Awwwwm so sweet! Little kids do live in the moment and being reminded to do that as adults is a good thing. Glad being a bunch of someones' favorite thing was your favorite thing this week :)

Kirsten said...

Aren´t we just the luckiest people to be surrounded by those little fellows who put things back into perseption every day! That is one of the reasons I truely like my job.
Awesome fav. Thanks for the post!

Diane-crewe said...

sometimes we just need to be reminded that there are "small" things in the world that make a difference.... THEN it is back to reality ... but with a bit of a spring in our step xxx

Helsie said...

Great post Shay.You are very lucky to be working in a job that you obviously love .... and making a difference!
Cheers

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I'm so proud of you! You are making a difference in so many lives, Shay!

I can understand why they all love you so much. Thanks for sharing your day with us!!!

Dianne Neale said...

You obviously do a great job. It must be wonderful to know you can make a difference every day

melissa said...

That is such a lovely post and well deserved favourite...I might have even got a little tear in my eye...*sniff*...Those little people sure do put things into perspective.

Lane said...

Beautifully written Shay. You brought a tear to my eye. YAY, YOU!! How wonderful to be a superstar for 3 hours. Lane

Katie said...

great favorite. nice story.

audrey said...

lovely story. kids have a way of putting things straight in a hurry.:)

Terri said...

Oh, Shay! What a wonderful soul saving job you have... for you and for them. (You need to write a book, keep notes for when you retire.) Your post made me laugh and cry... If we all could be more like kids.
(The wise person can learn from anyone, the idiot from no one.) I see you are a wise one!
Hugs

Katy Cameron said...

Ahh, you're on the meeting diet too! I totally want the people you work with, I imagine 3-4 year olds having tantrums are easier to take than grown adults somehow...

Kate said...

What a wonderful favorite thing! So glad you had a great play date with a bunch of your buddies, sounds like they gave you a wonderful dose of love as well.

Pokey said...

Ah, Miz Shay, we KNOW a child can help us with correcting our perspectives on what is important. You have blessed my heart, girlfriend! I wish I was there with you, wait--this IS my life, loving these babies, helping them learn more than the words on the page, but how we can become a better person with giving of ourselves. I love this! Now, excuse me while I go back to the box of papers to grade, 3rd quarter is ending with March....
hugs, pokey

Elizabeth said...

Hands down, best FTF ever! Thank you for sharing!

xo -E

Rachaeldaisy said...

This is such super great post Shay. Beautifully written. A great reminder to seize the moment,look for the good things in our busy days. Children are so good at helping us put things into perspective.

Cindy said...

Awesome, awesome post my friend. Thank you so much for sharing what we all need to be reminded of. I get all crazy like that when I see a post from you. :) You are the bomb, sister!!

lindaroo said...

Such good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

HTC corporations, world famous for there extraordinary product line, have reached yet another milestone with HTC HD2 added in their basket. HTC has always been a leading and one of the most demanded producers of smartphones. HTC HD2 has got the typical HTC style with the big screen and the extraordinary features as the center of attraction. HTC HD2 is the first smart phone with a 4.3 inches screen isabel marant shoes. Related Articles HTC Desire HD2 The upcoming sensation from HTC HTC Desire HD The finest High Definition widget from HTC phones Htc Hd2 For One And All Htc Hd2 A Mesmerizing Widget With User Friendly Applications Not only this much HTC HD2 is the first Windows OS operated mobile phone with a multi capacitive touch screen and only the second smart phone with a Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250 1 GHz processor isabel marant sales. The most interesting feature of this gadget is that the touch screen is like a canvas such that the users can design and arrange the icons the way they like..
[url=http://isabelmarantsalescheap.webs.com/]isabel marant sales[/url]
.what coach purse should i seize.brb ill show youEDIT or khaki Cute in the gold blue color is cute. in the blue ANY color this is cute DONT get the Carly I bought the biggest one and the strap is supper gluey and doesnt stay on my shoulder and is hard to carry and if it stays on my shoulder it hurts. idk, it would tough to isabel marant shoes. isabel marant shoes...
[url=http://isabelmarantsneakers86.webs.com/]isabel marant sneakers[/url]
Certified FunctionsS Hours, Minutes, Small Seconds at 9 oclock, Chronograph, Variable Tachometer CaseThickness 15.0 mm CaseDiameter 44.8 mm BezelMaterial Stainless Steel knurled bezel BezelFunction Bidirectional rotating ResistanceS 100m 330ft suitable for swimming and shallow snorkeling unsuitable for diving LengthS 8 isabel marant sneakers isabel marant sneakers.5 inches Engine Breitling Cal 13B 28,800 vph, 25 jewels Crown ScrewLocked CalendarS Automatic full display day and date at 3 oclock Caseback Stainless Steel price 299.00 Watchescat offers a wide variety of the top class and excellent quality replica watches to choose from, like Rolex, Louis Vuitton, Breitling, Cartier replica watch etc. All of the watches are crafted to meet the exact specifications of the original designs, we not only ensure that the replica watches look like the originals but also that the weight and dimensions are measured to be as accurate as possible. The best thing about our designer inspired watches is that they cost a fraction of the price compared to their original counterparts..
[url=http://isabelmarantsalesonline.webs.com/]isabel marant online shop[/url]

This kind of little part of details will disclose several information exactly why females enjoy their Burberry handbags. Weve been selfassured to provide the top replicas. We wont carry a style type with out 1st ensuring excellent Handbags are extremely pricey especially the real designer purses.Regarding the build, your stitching is small, the particular joins are inline and also details emulate the particular creators real bags. These kinds of locations are usually definitely going searching spots for additional store suppliers along with Moist couture features greater than Nine hundred list areas worldwide isabel marant shoes. At a price tag well over 20,1000, it is easy to understand why these are a favorite associated with sellers regarding cheap, imitation bags. Medium Sized Burberry purses are the most useful things and can include things such as the particular hobo and also satchel, which charge involving 250 as well as 300 isabel marant sales..
[url=http://isabelmarantsalescheap.webs.com/]isabel marant outlet sales[/url]

Kristie said...

xoxox So true!