I had a rather drastic haircut on Saturday as well as a new colour (I was starting to look like Cruella de Vil or a skunk or both) I decided to go all trendy at the suggestion of my 21 year old hairdresser and had an asymmetrical bob done which means one side of my hair is noticeably longer than the other. I'm not sure yet whether I look hip and trendy or whether it looks like I did my own haircut with a knife and fork.
As usual the weekend seemed to be over far too quickly. Often Sunday night appears and I think "What? almost Monday already?" like it's somehow a shock that Monday follows Sunday and that I didn't get half the things done that I'd planned. But this weekend was packed full of sewing and a couple of almost finishes in the quilting department. That's what I call a good weekend!
I put on my big girl panties and finished the quilting on Superheroes 1. I still don't think it's one of my best quilting efforts in terms of execution but the silver lining here is that it helped me decide what not to do for Superheroes 2. I'm pretty sure this is what a real spider web would look like if the spider had just dropped acid.
I was doing the happy dance at the idea of being that close to a finish though and maybe if I wash the crap out of it all those cruddy bits I don't like will dissolve in the wash?
I'm half way through making the back for Superheroes 2 and having learned my lesson I'm keeping it simple.
Little Miss Sunshine gave me the heads up a while back about a different method to basting a quilt and I gave that a crack this weekend. Instead of basting all three layers at once, I spray basted the front to the batting first and then spray basted the top two layers to the backing. Mind you I still pinned it to within an inch of it's life. Just to be sure. I got great results using this method with my backing looking almost perfect when I pulled it off my basting table.
Some simple in the ditch stitching in the main body of the quilt
And I did such an awesome job of matching the backing thread that you cant see I did a single argyle pattern in the borders. I was originally going to use red top thread on the front in the borders but chickened out at the last minute. I'm kicking myself now because that would have looked fabulous. And I'm seriously happy with the quilting on this one. Now I just have to make the binding for both of these and spend some time hand sewing. I can sniff an imminent finish or two! It's about bloody time . I think I'm the only person in the entire quilting fraternity that hasn't had a 2013 finish!
And finally I've been the lucky recipient of some beautiful goodies the last week or so that I want to show off and say a big thank you for.
At our sewing day last weekend Quiltygal gifted me these gorgeous babushka fabrics. Sewing friends are the best friends ever! Thank you Claire.
And recently I've won not one , but two blog giveaways!
First up from the beautiful Elizabeth at Such a Sew and Sew I got this parcel of yumminess. I'll be sticking babushka stickers on everything I own from here on in. Too cute !
And from Terri at QuiltNcards I got these awesome fabrics, some licorice (I've heard about Good and Plenty but never had any) and since Terri is the official Queen of Paper Piecing she sent me this lovely example of her work. I was truly spoiled.
Thank you so much ladies. Your generosity has brightened my days.
It's off to work for me , although I'd much rather be tackling those binding jobs!