Larri at Seams Inspired has come up with a brilliant idea for Christmas 2010. The Thrifty Christmas Challenge . You can read all about it here ...
And she has a page where you can link to your blog posts and show off your finds/ creations here . Feel free to play along!
The deal was I opened my big mouth and said I wanted to do some handmade gifts for Christmas. In public. On my blog. I am an idiot. It snowballed when Larri said she was doing Thrifty Christmas. I said "What a great idea" In public . On her blog. I am an idiot. Just kidding. I'm really excited about this idea.
By that time I was committed to the concept, so I created this blog because I don't want family and friends snooping round looking at what I'm up to. My family are sneaky that way. My friends are even sneakier.
So here are my rules:
- I'll try to make , thrift and use whatever I have wherever I can.
- I want the gifts to be meaningful for the recipients so I can't buy/make any old trash. Bugger. This is going to be hard. Kidding!
- I have a budget and I have to stick to it. I can buy supplies to make my creations or I can buy presents outright.
- Augmenting or embellishing gifts with additonal purchases is OK as long as the budget isn't exceeded.
- I can re-gift , recycle or use things I already have stashed and it doesn't count towards the budget limit.
- I will not make my Dad a tie for Christmas. Or an apron for my sister.
This week I'm showcasing Little P's presents ...most of which you will have already seen.
Love U Quilt - Handmade from Stash (by Quilting in My Pyjamas)
Marvin the Monster- Handmade (by Kris of Life at Rosemary Hill )
Car Playmat - a garage sale find a year ago. Meets the thrifty criteria.
Crayon Roll (handmade by moi)
I'm planning to make another one of these and fill it with pencils. And I bought some art paper so Little P can scribble to his hearts content . At his place. Not on my white floors. Yeah I'm the world's worst Bella. I'm waiting till he moves out then I'm going to buy him litres of poster paint. That stuff never washes out despite what they say on the container.
Anyway , I'm still under budget , and appear to be batting 100% so far!
Happy Thrifty Christmas Tuesday for this week.