Thursday, August 19, 2010

Slack Tea Thursday - It's back

I had planned  to cook something wonderful tonight and resume Slack Tea Thursday next week, but the universe conspired against me. The electrician called this morning to say his van was off the road and he couldn't get here until tomorrow which meant the plumber couldn't do his thing either. This means I still don't have a cooktop, rangehood, dishwasher, microwave oven, regular  oven , running water in my kitchen , or lights. I feel like the pioneers of our country felt  except at least they had something that resembled fire with which to cook.

Time for Slack Tea Thursday to make a comeback.

Confession: Every tea has been slack for the last 21 nights . I defy anyone to be able to beat that record.   I  re-heated curry one night and cooked a roast in the bathroom at one point, and fried up some hash browns - that was  taste sensation with roast beef I can tell you - and Mr. P did steak on the barbie one night with hash browns but truth be told we have been surviving on sandwiches, toasted sandwiches, fried eggs on hash browns, hash browns,   hot chips and gravy, takeaway chicken and chips, Maccas, eating out and KFC.  I never thought I would be looking forward to something that resembled a vegetable.  I miss creamy smashed potato. I would like to eat a carrot. Give me peas for crying out loud. I have actually started dreaming of being taunted by vegetables.

So this is tonight's effort. Stale premium and clix crackers with amazing amounts of margarine, salt and a can of tuna thrown on top.I didn't even drain it. I whipped this up in 30 seconds, and that included dropping the can in the bin on my way past .  I've got so good at  throwing tea together I don't even have to think about it anymore.  And yeah that's a paper plate - wanna  make something of it? I'm fed up with washing dishes  in my laundry sink. Last week I was handwashing my mohair jumper and when I fished it out of the trough it had half a manky hash brown attached to it.



Actually we've been eating off of paper plates for the last 3 weeks. Someone call Guinness because I'm pretty sure  that's a world record.  I feel like my life is just one big picnic without the ants and flies.

P.S.  I ate dinner at around 5 pm. I think I'm turning into one of those old age pensioners that hits the $1.99 all you can eat buffet at 4.30 pm for the early bird special , and is in bed by 8.30 pm. Now I know why supper was invented. When you eat that early you're starving by 7.30pm and it's practically a whole day still until breakfast time.  

9 comments:

Deb said...

Oh sweetie, it won't be long. Invite yourself over to your sisters and request a yummy roast with lots of roast vegies and peas and carrots with real gravy. Then a big dessert to follow. I would deliver a lovely dinner if I lived closer but I think if I posted it, it would be cold by the time it got there.

Lorraine said...

glad i didn't wait for your slack tea thursday post.....not sure I could have forced down the clix/margarine/tuna combo! I had crumpets with butter and vegemite.....boring but not bad!! I love that you ate early....supper could be interesting! I am thinking a cuppa with TimTams for mine......and I only ate a half hour ago...! The kitchen will be worth the wait......and you will soon forget the inconvenience when you get it all done...sorta like they say you forget the pain of childbirth when the baby arrives....!

Marg said...

Ummmm, that looks very unappetising, even more than Vegemite. I agree with Lorraine, I don't think I could have stomached that either. However, I'm really glad to see you back to posting slack tea Thursday, you really are good at it. I missed you. xx

Baa-Me Kniits said...

We had curry take away tonight but it would have been Tuna and crackers if I hadn't talked Hubby into picking it up on his way home, only I would have added mayonnaise with mine! :-)

Shirley said...

Hmm... the one cracker with a dollop looks good. My mother taught me to find something good to say or not say anything at all *LOL* How did you manage to cook a roast in your bathroom? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that before and it doesn't sound real appetizing. I hope your renos will end soon. It's the worse but honestly well worth the trouble. It's easier than moving house, although that's debateable.

Michelle said...

It's really bad when you've had so many slack meals that they're just not fun anymore.

Don't worry. You'll get your kitchen back, no doubt truly enjoy cooking in your fabulous new kitchen digs, and won't have to have another slack tea until you're darn good and ready.

Jeni said...

you know what when all is up and working ....you will be cooking your fingers to the bones.....just freeze ...left overs..........enjoy your time off and think camping ..but you have a shower and loo Yessssssssssss?????

Elizabeth said...

Ahhh. Slack tea. Welcome back. Lovely job.

xo -E

Vesuviusmama said...

You know, I don't like to cook, so I love reading these posts, but I LOVE to eat, so I cook anyway. I'd be going crazy in your shoes. Hang in there!