Monday, December 01, 2014

Saying Goodbye

Last week was a week of fluctuating emotions , an inevitable dash to the finish line to wrap up work related matters ( I failed because some things were left undone)and a week where I think I cornered the world market on tissue use. I burst into tears at the most inopportune times (pretty much every time someone looked at me- woe betide if they also got teary - the resultant flood threatened to engulf us both). A number of people refused to actually say the G-word , which means there was a healthy dose of denial going on from both sides of the fence. 

I started the week by taking a picture of the space where I've sat my butt for the last 13 years. Walking out of here for the last time on Friday felt very surreal. My office was completely bare and devoid of any sort of personality. This little office has been very good to me. I've worked hard and occasionally played here , had serious and not so serious conversations here , and solved some big problems while sitting at that desk.  


People kept popping in to my office doorway and bursting into tears (I'm looking at you Nerida , Netta and kind of looking at you Bronwyn although you beat a hasty exit when your eyes welled up) To Maria , who hugged me tight every single time she saw me all week, which felt like it was far more often than usual (are you sure you weren't stalking me ?) - thank you . I'm not a huggy person but it was actually not too bad in that I didn't want to punch you when you did it. To Rachel who couldn't trust herself to actually speak to me one last time and tell me what she thought - girl it was a good choice to email because by the time you sent that through I was pretty much gone emotionally and if you had come and said those nice things in person I would have probably gone and immediately withdrawn my resignation.

The work crew threw me a high tea on Thursday to say goodbye. 


Some of the crew. Many thanks to Kathy, our office manager , who did most of the organising for this spectacular event . 


I think the fact that I was given a salad bowl as a gift must have been some sort of joke. These people have eaten lunch with me every day for umpteen years and know I don't eat salad. But no matter- this bowl will look excellent filled with salt and vinegar chips. Or chocolate. 


Redemption for the great salad bowl incident of 2014 came in the form of a cash card which I used to buy these to remind me of the wonderful people I've just spent the last 13 years with. 


My last job on Friday was an email to my immediate team which they will open today telling them how much I have appreciated working with them. Since I balled like a baby writing it - there might be a few tears in the office this morning. (possibly of relief that I'm actually gone....)

And as for me ? I'm now on holidays between jobs and am going to be packing today to head off for a week visiting Little Miss Sunshine. I may also have some other big news to share when I get back. 

Highlights of the week
  • Feeling a lot of love from everyone ( a lot!) 
  • Super E telling me that he was worried because he didn't know all the letters of the alphabet and that he's "going to school next year you know" but then proceeding to verbally recite them perfectly. He also expressed disgust that they aren't teaching him how to write them at kindy "because you know Bella, kids won't be quiet when they tell us about the alphabet". I bought you a book Super E and we can practice the alphabet together. You'll be ready to write all those letters when school starts- don't worry. 







29 comments:

Leanne said...

I am sure you will be missed. Ohhhh big news !!!!!!!! Your not pregnant

Jennifer said...

What great memories to have of your last week at work......unlike a couple of my jobs on leaving, where I was only too glad to shake their dust off my feet! Enjoy your time away, and surprise us when you return.

thea said...

Must have been a tough week, to be leaving after so long. I can't imagine.

So good of you to work with Super E on the alphabet. If he wants to do it, I'm sure it'll come more easily than he thinks. How cute. It's really fun when they start realizing that letters make words and the reading thing clicks in.

the running hare said...

Super salad bowl! Have a wonderful holiday and can't wait to hear the big news!

Jackie said...

Saying goodbye to people you have worked with for years is one of the hardest things to do.

I had promised myself that I would be tough, but when it came time to say goodbye to the youth of the parish (when I stepped down) I cried like a baby.....

Can't wait to hear your news. Enjoy your visit with Little Miss Sunshine.

God bless.

audrey said...

My father-in-law always said that the best time to leave was when everyone was still sad to see you leave.:)

Katy Cameron said...

Glad they did you proud on the departure, hopefully you've dried out now...

Helsie said...

I'm a little tears just reading this. It's a big step, to walk away from your comfort zone and those you know so well but the new challenge will keep you on your toes. Lots of luck !
PS. If you teach the little fellow how to write please don't teach him capitals ! ( ex teacher rant here !) . Sounds like he's going to lap school up.

Helsie said...

I'm a little tears just reading this. It's a big step, to walk away from your comfort zone and those you know so well but the new challenge will keep you on your toes. Lots of luck !
PS. If you teach the little fellow how to write please don't teach him capitals ! ( ex teacher rant here !) . Sounds like he's going to lap school up.

AnnieO said...

It's always nice to know how much your presence means to those you work with. It's a family that's difficult to leave. Glad to see you made it through with your sense of humor intact! Really great to have a break between jobs and away from home at that! Enjoy your vacation. Super E is the cutest conversationalist :)

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Oh man, these goodbyes are tough. I hope your next crew are just as wonderful to work with. If anyone can cheer you up it will be Miss Sunshine - I'm sure you two will get up to all sorts of mischief together!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow....you are definitely loved. What a nice going away.

Cardygirl said...

To infinity and beyond....to a brave and clever woman and her new adventure! X

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Tears all dried now?
Have a great break!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Such a lovely send off for an obviously much loved colleague. Enjoy the new chapter and your hols xxx

Rachaeldaisy said...

Of course everyone cried when you were leaving! I think starting your hoiiday with a visit to Miss Sunshine is the perfect thing to do. Super E is such a treasure!!

Mistea said...

Yay for new beginnings and holidays with friends.
Enjoy your adventures!

Susan said...

I think you're softer underneath than you let on! Obviously loved by your work mates. Enjoy your break and the new exciting journey ahead.

Sooli said...

What a gorgeous way to celebrate your time spent with your workplace (not to celebrate your leaving!). Love a possible surprise announcement so waiting with bated breath!

Kate said...

What a great send off. It's obvious that you worked with some really great people, who else would get you a salad bowl.

Enjoy your time off and your visit with Miss Sunshine.

Barb H said...

It's so hard to leave a job and co-workers that you've loved for so long. Part of you hates to leave them and part of you wants to get on with the next step in life. Tears are inevitable. But isn't it great to know that your coworkers can tell you they really love you and will miss you? Now holidays! Wonderful way to begin a new phase in your life!

Sue SA said...

Ha, ha, ha...a salad bowl! But really nice that they farewelled you with a high tea...instead of a salad bar lunch!
Glad your having a decent break between jobs, have a great holiday. Your big news is making me nervous...you better not have discovered you like instagram better then blogging or that your retiring from patchwork to own a cattery!

Paulette said...

Goodbyes are the pits, and yet to be sent off with such love and affection says a lot for the coworker you were to all. That is a gorgeous salad bowl, I have to say, whatever you may use it for. It'd be cute filled with colorful fat quarters too.

All the best in your new gig, but meantime, enjoy your time off to the fullest!

Chookyblue...... said...

end of one journey but the start of a new one.........

Brenda said...

You are amazing (and hilarious)

Elizabeth said...

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

It is hard to leave our comfort zones, but good for you! Your new earrings are gorgeous, but I missed the invite for high tea. It looks like it was lovely.

xo -E

Marg said...

Oh ny god....you are pregnant....with twins!

Marg said...

I was so shocked I couldn't even type properly.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I think it shows what a great person you are that your co-workers gave you that awesome send off! I'm a little surprised to hear that you're not a huggy person (I'm not either).
And, oh, that Little E - he's going to do great next year!!
Hope you're having a fab time with Marg - I think it's great that you are able to get together!!
So very happy for you, Shay - you've worked hard and deserve to be treated:)