Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Evolution of a Quilt

You may recall, a week ago I did a post about a rainbow of colour that I saw on my sewing room floor and the subsequent idea that popped into my brain for a new quilt. Seriously people - sometimes you just gotta go with the flow, and so last week that's what I did. 

How it looked on Sunday when inspiration struck 


On Monday I cut all those fabrics into strips.


Tuesday - More cutting of plain fabric and I started strip piecing 


Wednesday saw more strip piecing. At this point I was going a little strip piecing crazy.



Thursday -Cutting - lots of cutting


Friday-Had planned for this to be a bumper day but a run to Toys R Us, Spotlight and my parents for a visit, kind of put the kybosh on that. I got the 9 patches half done though before I ran out of mojo and took a nanna nap. 


Saturday - I finished sewing those 9 patches and heaved a sigh of relief because all the blocks were done. Counted them up and realised I'd actually miscounted and had 4 left to do. So I did them, then made the corner blocks and then pieced the border strips...




Sunday - pressing of 9 patches all done (one with a mistake which I have since unpicked and made right) so now I just have to find a space to lay them out and decide on a design. That seems all too hard at the moment ....my dogs have feet the size of dinner plates and at the moment they seem to be perpetually caked in mud . They also like tap dancing on my quilt layouts...


Stats for the week:
  • I was a lean mean piecing machine. 
  • My iron and I got jiggy with each other ( I think Mr. P suspects an affair!) 
  • I sewed 610 x 2.5 inch squares together 
  • I spent 10 hours sewing , cutting, and pressing ( when I was strip piecing it felt like a lot longer than 10 bloody hours let me tell you) 


I'm hoping for another productive week in between working and life however it's birthday season here at Maison Pyjamas - and we celebrated a HUGE one yesterday - Little P turned 5. In honour of this monumental event and since he isn't "little"anything anymore I've decided he deserves a new name for my blog. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to introduce the newly renamed-birthdayed-up  - Super E!




23 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday wishes to Superkid E! Wow, you have been dancing up a storm.......I quite like mindless piecing, it's quite therapeutic.

Marie said...

Happy Birthday Super E !!! I swear he just gets cuter and more adorable with every new picture.

Let 'er rip and get the project done ... cannot wait to see it ....

Rachaeldaisy said...

Super E is a brilliant name for the birthday boy! Happy Birthday Duoer E. You really tamed that fabric jungle into fabulous blocks. You never actually say what the pattern is...I wonder what you are up to...

Helsie said...

What a whirlwind you are. The quilt will be done and dusted in two weeks !
Happy Birthday Super E !

AnnieO said...

That was some dedicated hours spent with appliances and machines of the sewing sort. Amazing numbers there! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Happy Birthday to Super E--he is a cutie

Kate said...

Happy Birthday to Super E! (Just so you know, there will have to be another name change when he becomes a teenager).

Love the 9 patches. You were really productive (I was going to say you were a sewing machine, but that just sounded weird). Looking forward to seeing how you decide to set them all together.

Sooli said...

Who knew you'd be happy to spend so much time stripping? and in winter too! (you see what I did there?)I'm intrigued to see where you're going with all your 9 patches. I'm sure its a dog thing, I had the same problem. I was minding my own business Sunday digging out my leftover bits of wadding to join together to use in some table runners and found a piece I'd already joined. I spread it out on the floor to see how big it was and my hands had not left it before it had a golden retriever fully stretched out on it!
Happy 5th birthday to Super E too!

Paulette said...

From Little P to Super E - Happy birthday, sweet boy!

Your scrappy 9-patches are looking great. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I know it will be scraptactular!

Terri said...

Happy Birthday Everybody there... especially Super E. Hope you have a brilliant birthday bash,
Hugs

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Happy Birthday to everyone getting older over there (especially Super E, likely the only one who's happy about getting older). Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labours, what a piecing machine you've been! Yay for mojo!

Karen said...

On a roll!! Love where this is headed and 10 hours is pretty good! At least you and your iron enjoyed bonding and quality time :)

Kirsten's Cooking said...

He is super!!! Happy Birthday, Super E :)

Mistea said...

He sure looks like one Super E birthday boy.
What is it about July, we're in the midst of family birthday season too!

Love the transformation of those pretty scraps. Hope the dogs have learnt to wipe their feet.

Leanne said...

You have been busy, I wish I could say the same. Super E is growing up fast. 5 is a wonderful age.

thea said...

Wow! You certainly were a lean mean quilting/piecing machine. Your blocks look amazing!

Great name for Super E. I didn't realize he and my #1 had birthdays so close together.

Sue SA said...

Happy birthday Super E! Amazing effort Mrs PJ's piecing all those blocks, very impressed!

Jackie said...

Love the way the colours are all coming together.

Happy Birthday to Super E.

God bless.

quiltygal said...

Looking forward to seeing this next week at NTFW :)

Kristie said...

Whoa! Good job on the sewing front and happy birthday Super E!!

Larri said...

Wow - you go on all those blocks! Looking forward to seeing the finish.

Happy Birthday, Super E! What a handsome guy you are. What are your favorites these days? Are you into superheroes or still liking Fireman Sam?

You've been busy, Shay! Looks as though all is well in your world. Happy Sunday! ;)

Katy Cameron said...

610 squares? Holy crap! Belated happy birthday to Super E!

Kirsten said...

Wow! I wish I could piece this fast. You are amazing me again and again....

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday E! He looks so tall and grown up now, still cute of course.