Friday, August 26, 2011

Favourite Things Friday





Welcome to Friday!

I'm keeping it short and sweet this week. I'm dedicating my FTF this week to one of the hardest working people I know. My mother in law, Shirley, who will probably kill me if she ever finds out I've posted her picture and her name on the internet.  


On Wednesday this week , my mother in law retired after over half a century of working. At one point when my MIL was in her 20's she held down multiple jobs simultaneously while bringing up a  toddler to make ends meet. Her energy still amazes me. And until this week she still worked 5 days a week starting at the very rude time of 7 am every day. And somehow still always managed to have a pristine house and  throw together impromptu family dinners for the clan. When I get home from work all I want to do is collapse... 

My favourite thing this week is  the idea that after years of working so hard she is finally going to get to do some of the things that she wants to do for herself. She told me her first job was going to be cleaning her house from top to bottom. Crazy. My first thing would be to sit on my arse and do nothing for a month. 

Happy Retirement Shirley. You deserve it. 

If you'd like to share one of your favourites this Friday, whack up a post and link to this one so we can come and share something you're loving this week. 


P.S. My father in law will be joining her in sleeping in and bumming round doing exactly what he wants when he retires next week. 



26 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

You make me laugh out loud. I will try to link up a prewritten post in the morning before we depart. Have a good weekend.

seabreezequilts said...

She can come and clean my house from top to bottom if she likes. Hope she has a lovely retirement.

Jennifer said...

Best wishes to Shirley.......retirement is great!

Helsie said...

Yay for Shirley. Hope retirement is sweet for her ( and hubby too). How lucky you are to have a MIL you admire and obviously feel great affection for
Cheers
Helen

Kristie said...

Congratulations, Shirley! I am in awe of your boundless energy! I am certain I will excel at retirement, though I suspect I will start off much more like you, Shay...reclining on my arse, but maybe add a margarita.....

Mistea said...

Happy retirement to Shirley - sounds like she has worked hard and deserves every minute of her new found free (well she is now free to do what she likes, even if it is cleaning?)time.

melissa said...

Youre so funny Shay, you crack me up, but i have to agree after a half century of working i would sit on my arse for a month too. Happy Retirement Shirley!

x

Unknown said...

Go Shirley and congratulations !

Kate said...

Happy retirement to Shirley! Hope she has lots of fun and gets to do all the stuff she's been putting off.

Elizabeth said...

Your MIL sounds like a really wonderful woman. I loved reading your thoughts on her and thanks for the photo. I think she's adorable.

xo -E

thea said...

Congratulations to Shirley! I hope she enjoys her retirement, even if it is cleaning. What a wonderful favorite!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

That is certainly an achievement to be proud of...Happy Retirement to Shirley and how lucky to have a lovely MIL like her. I wonder if she will still be 'up and at em' at 7am? My MIL is :-)

Michelle Ridgway said...

"Happy Retirement" Shirley. I was a 7am start girl too and it is wonderful when the clock rolls around and you can please yourself.
Enjoy!!!

Pokey said...

I hope the best of things to come for your in-laws, yippee for jobs well done, and the example they are to us all!
:-}pokey

Marg said...

Isn't Shirley lucky to have you as a daughter in law.
When she has finished cleaning her house and Amanda's she's welcome to pop over here too.
I agree I would be sitting on my arse too.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Happy retirement Shirley!! Introduce Shirley to quilting and then she wouldnt have time for cleaning!!

Kirsten said...

Happy retirement Shirley!...and if she ever gets bored she is more than welcome to come in clean my house..which is what I have to do now.

Lisa said...

Awesome and congrats. My MIL is pretty awesome too, somehow she managed to raise 8 children.... the first 6 within 9 years!
I would have wanted to do something major too; but not having to do with cleaning... more like lots of quilting with no interruptions!

Larri said...

What a fabulous favourite! In your MIL's honor, I cleaned and organized kitchen cabinets yesterday. Hope retirement is nothing but wonderful for her! Great favourite, Shay. Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday night! ☺

Sue said...

Yay for retirement! Happy Friday.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

Even though she'll probably never read this, it looks like she's so perfect that not even a hair is out of place!

Fifty years is a crazy long time!

Congratulations to you Shirley - enjoy some relaxation!

Shay - maybe she'll be so bored that you can convince her to cook and clean for you!

Paulette said...

Three cheers for your MIL! She deserves to do whatever she wants, including housecleaning. Sweet post, Shay!

Shevvy said...

What happened to the mother-in-law jokes? Bless her, I'm glad you get on so well and hope she thoroughly enjoys her retirement.

Angie in SoCal said...

LOL - me, too, Shay - at least a month doing nothing, then I'd start quilting like mad and do some traveling.

Judith said...

My favorite things are: the Lord and my family. In that order. The lord is my first love and always hears my prayers, and my family is always in my prayers.

AnnieO said...

Hope I have that title someday, and no, I don't mean mother in law (that's coming in two months, eek). Sounds like your MIL will be busier than ever when she stops working for a living :)