Monday, July 06, 2015

Nothing to see here ...

Work has been insane for the last month, which is the excuse I'm using for my latest absence.  Mr. P and I have barely seen one another during the week for the last three weeks. By the time I got home , my brain was mush and it's was all either of us could do to sort out dinner. There has been a lot of picking up takeaway on the way home , or eating breakfast cereal at 7pm, and on weekends we've been playing the "lets catch up on everything we didn't get done during the week " game, and sadly, Nanna napping to catch up on sleep. 

All this self neglect and unintended abuse finally caught up with me this week, when I got sick with a case of shingles and so since Wednesday I've swapped working for sleeping, vowing to take better care of myself (while working my way through a dozen Krispy Kremes) and binge watching Orange is The New Black on Netflix. I haven't left the house in 5 days and I'm going a little bit stir crazy. It's been bags of fun, which coincidentally is where my shingles rash has appeared and so I haven't been wearing a bra either. 

Since I last made a grand appearance on my own blog, Mr P and I have done a long weekend trip where I managed to take one photo while I ate my way through Melbourne...



I went away for work and woke up to this view ...




I spent some quality time with my sewing posse which is only one of two times I've picked up a needle and thread in the last 4 weeks. A large part of my day involved unpicking less than stellar quilting. 


From L to R - Kris's knitting, Loz's embroidery,Claire's hexies and applique, and Kay's quilting


Super E came to stay and I forgot to take any pictures at all...

And I spent a considerable amount of time wrestling with fruit based technology trying to get stuff from my old apple thingamajigs to the new ones. I emerged only partially victorious, and have had to commence Cupcake Mania from level 1, which is a real pity because I was on level 270. Let this be a lesson to us all to back up on itunes or icloud a little more often. 



I'm on a new healthier eating kick, so we'll see how long that lasts and if it helps me find my creative mojo which sadly seems to have been absent for most of 2015. Baby steps - today's goal is to eat two pieces of fruit and stick salad in my focaccia. 

Enjoy your week. 



22 comments:

gayle said...

Oh, ow ow ow. Shingles heads the list of Worst Things Ever.
Take care of yourself and get some rest.

Larri said...

So sorry about the shingle-lee-shingle-laa episode. Deep breaths, friend.
Your time away looked lovely. Here's hoping you're on the mend soon & the sewing bug bites.

PS...Forget the health food. Slather some sweetened strawberries & whipped cream on those donuts. You won't regret it. ;)

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Golly girl! You need to slow down! Shingles v nasty. Feel better soon.

Marg said...

Shingles sucks. Hope you feel better very soon and you can find a balance between work and play these days
I'll believe the vegetable bit when I see video of you actually eating it.

the running hare said...

Sorry to hear about your shingles, not nice! Hope you manage to get the right work/life balance or you'll never eat vegetables or salad!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Shingles!!! Awful! Your trip away looked great...clever stitching friends there as well. Take care of my friend Shay xx

Rachaeldaisy said...

There's no ignoring shingles, it's a nasty way for your body to say chill out. Relax up and I hope youre feeling better soon, and a super new healthy You!

Tazzie said...

Sending big hugs your way hon, you really do need them. Hopefully I'll be able to visit with you on the next stitching day.
Hugs
Tazzie
xox

Katie said...

Yay to new fruit based technology, boo to shingles. Hang in there. :-)

Barb H said...

I've heard shingles is not a good thing! Please get over it soon so you can put your bra back on! And get back to life again!

Brandie said...

So sorry to hear about your itchy fun bags! That has to be the worse disease ever, makes my common cold seem so trivial.
I hope things start looking up and the shingles take a hike.

Terri said...

This latest time, this winter I had shingles on my back and they came around front under the girls. I really don't hurt much from them, (have had them 4 times starting in 8th grade) but the itch!!!!! is insane. I dried up the rash with soap bar scum.... okay, it sounds icky, but it works! It takes away the itch, dries up the rash, and does it all with only a little bit of the soap that your skin is already used to. Try it, you'll like it. My Dr. gave me something for the pain, and this bout of it cleared up really quickly - two weeks. (Dr. said you can be in public without giving anyone chicken pox or shingles if the affected area is covered by clothes... so be sure to wear some. (Don't wear the bra though - you won't like that.)
Here's to hoping you will feel better soon.
Hugs

Jackie said...

Sorry to read about your bout with shingles. My sister gets them (she has had them three times now) and informed me that they are no picnic.

Take care of yourself and get better soon.

God bless.

seabreezequilts said...

The Seabreeze household has been suffering as well, not shingles thank god, but a bug bad enough to send Mr Seabreeze and myself to bed/lounge in foetal position for 3 days. Maestro was last to come down with it 5 days after the rest so he will be out of action for the first half of school holidays. So I feel your pain...stress is a shingles trigger. I shudder to think what our water bill will be like because we all have only got relief with hot showers to keep warm and ease the aching in our joints. The upside is I've managed to loose a bit of weight.

I'm on the road to recovery and back to stitching again.

ThreeOldKeys said...

I hope you're already feeling better! It's good to know your sense of humor (or humour) has not deserted you.

Sometimes taking a lot of pictures isn't as important as enjoying a special day while it's happening.

ThreeOldKeys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paulette said...

Bags of fun...still laughing about that. The shingles is no laughing matter, though. Hope you're well on the way to recovery. Enjoyed the update. Good luck with the healthier eating plan. If someone had told me I'd be eating green things at breakfast 10 years ago, I'd have thought they were nuts. Or that I would actually like the taste of cilantro. I think it's just a matter of repeated exposure.

Kate said...

I hope the shingles are much better. I've heard it's not a nice illness to have, especially where your rash is.

Hope the new job starts to settle down a bit. I'm kinda where you are, deadlines at work, trying to take vacation, and no sewing mojo. Hopefully this month will see things change for both of us.

RenaissanceSandi said...

So sorry to hear that you have shingles...I have heard it can be very painful. However, I am glad to see that you can still have your wonderful sense of humor and truly laughed out loud when I read your comment about where the shingles has taken up residence! You are so funny! Don't worry, your mojo will return! We all go through dry spells especially when work, and life in general, seems to be sucking the creativity right out of you! Good luck---my advice is start or finish something small to make yourself feel like you have accomplished something! It does wonders for you!

AnnieO said...

Sorry the dinner eating has been miserable. I remember what that was like from the year I had three part time jobs, one of which was incredibly stressful and Im not sure how I made it through! Your hexies got worked on, I saw that on Loz's blog. Hope things are looking up at work.

Shingles is nasty business. Now that I work in Family Medicine and not ortho, I hear the doc advise nearly everyone to get the shingles vaccine. If my insurance doesn't pay for it, I may do so myself before I get too much older!

thea said...

Shingles totally sucks. I'm presuming you're all better now. I've been MIA for so long I don't know that I'll ever get back into things. I saw some yummy things on fb so I'm hoping that means things are better.

Brenda said...

I'm SOOOO sorry to hear about Shingles - bleck, heck, yuck! Hang in there, hopefully life will smooth out a little and be lots more fun again! (And wearing a bra isn't my favorite, so that's a perk, yes?)