Monday, August 25, 2014

What's been going on at Maison Pyjamas

There hasn't been a lot of blogworthy news going on at Maison Pyjamas of late so I've been practicing silence. But mid last week, I had a day off and spent much of it in the sewing room, and then this past weekend I gave sewing another fair crack and all this activity finally resulted in something worth sharing.  

The poor neglected Irish Chain quilt hadn't been touched in about three weeks so it was time to get off my arse and move that forward. As of Sunday morning it was officially a flimsy and by Sunday afternoon I'd basted it and started the quilting. 




And I decided to help the Mary Potter Foundation by making a lap quilt for their quilt drive. This was so easy and quick to finish that I've decided to make another one in September for the cause. Mary Potter is looking for donation quilts of 48 x 48 inches for their palliative care patients so if you have some spare time and you're in Adelaide (or even Australia) please consider helping them out. 


We are in the thick of birthday season at Maison Pyjamas. Last night the family all got together to wish Nephew of Pyjamas and Fiancee of Nephew of Pyjamas Happy Birthday(s) 


Pssstttt- these two are also getting married in a couple of months which is beyond exciting for our family. 

I've been dabbling in the kitchen of late trying to perfect the art of home made spreadable butter. I decided spending 300 bucks a year on spreadable butter was way out of my price range and worked out I can make the same amount myself for about a third of the price. Attempt 1 was pretty much a disaster as full flavoured olive oil tastes like crap when you mix it with butter. Attempt number 2 was a bit anaemic looking but edible , although Mother Of Pyjamas commented that I should drop a few drops of yellow food colouring in it. I did that with attempt number three, slipped with the colouring and am now eating toast with fluro yellow butter every morning. It's still edible but looks radioactive. I'm pretty sure Attempt No 4 will be perfect. 


And finally, Super E came for a sleepover this weekend. At present he is the master of silly faces so it's hard to get a picture of him where he doesn't look like some kind of monster or mildly crazy. 


Nailed it ! 


Enjoy your week. 


19 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hey Pyjama Queen....how did you make that butter? I seriously want to make sone too!

Helsie said...

Your Irish Chain quilt looks very pretty. Are you keeping this one? I love making nine patch blocks. This making soft butter lark sounds a bit crazy, how much money will you save? We're trying to give up eating butter altogether ( and bread too !!). Gotta get some ( a lot !) weight off.

Lorraine said...

I am impressed with your quilt finishes - will get some details from you re the Mary Potter quilts on Saturday??? Since I gave up eating bread a few months ago ....and toast slathered in butter and usually vegemite or peanut butter was my go-to snack/meal of choice - I have no longer have a need for butter (spreadable or otherwise) but your glow-in-the-dark variety would be interesting. I need some time in the sewing room - just not happening at the moment. Hope to see you Saturday!

Jackie said...

Lovely work Shay. You choose the best colours for your quilts. They make me feel very happy.

God bless.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You have been busy for sure! Love the silly faces. That's my grandsons favorite thing still at 11.

Jennifer said...

Does Super E know about what happens when the wind changes? Love the Irish chain quilt! and the lap quilt will brighten up a life too, well done. You could add whatever colouring your little heart desires, you know......purple butter, anyone?

Unknown said...

I love your bright and happy Irish chain quilt. Where did you get the recipe for your spreadable radioactive material from? I wouldn't even think of attempting it. Good for you Shay. Sharyn:)

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Gosh super E has eyebrows most super models would die for! What a great idea to make your own spreadable butter. We have just made our first batch of Ghee. We use that for anything shallow fried. Half the price of the ready made stuff.

Karen said...

That irish chain will be amazing finished!! I cannot imagine you practicing silence for very long :)

Kate said...

Irish Chain looks amazing! Glad you were able to get some stitching time in this last week.

Little P isn't so little anymore! They grow up so fast.

Larri said...

How difficult was the Irish Chain to piece together? I've never been able to wrap my head around that pattern. Yours is beautiful! Can't wait to see the finish.

Love the cute faces of Super E! We still have an issue with that. Only thing I've found that works when I want a 'nice' photo is intentionally take a silly face picture first. That usually does the trick for us. :)

Happy Sewing!

Sooli said...

Nothing like a bit of fluoro yellow butter for brekkie! I'd like to know more about the Mary Potter quilts if you can point me in the right direction. My Mum spent some time there before she died and they were wonderful so I'd love to help them out.

Sue SA said...

Glad your getting some sewing time in! I am going to check out my flimsys to see if I have some tops that are the right size for the hospice, thanks for info : )

Katy Cameron said...

Ha, I'm loving the idea of fluorescent butter :oD

Paulette said...

Your nephew and his fiancee are adorable, as is Super E. Love your Irish Chain quilt!

the running hare said...

Fluorescent butter might just wake me up in the morning! Your Irish chain top is so pretty and it sounds like a very worthy cause you're going to send it to.

Kirsten said...

Still love that Irish chain..have been looking at it on facebook more than once and think I need to make one....hahaha...could you send some time over....please!!!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love your Irish Chain in candy colours!! I like the colours of your donation quilt too, they woud brighten someones day in the nicest way. You made butter?! You are the coolest cooking lady I know!! Super E is really growing up, he such a cutiepie!!

Michelle said...

And still loving that Irish Chain (yep, I'm reading your blog backwards....)