Sunday, September 08, 2013

Playing with Pinterest

This week I've had an overwhelming urge to bake. Mostly I avoid these urges because generally speaking baking and I aren't all that friendly. Hand me a hunk of meat and I'll make you an edible meal. Hand me eggs, sugar , butter and flour and you'd better break out the kindy pasting projects to use up all that glue. 

Pinterest has been great for me. I can pin things I like the look of and not bother about making them. Somehow in the process of pinning it's like I made it myself, so I don't actually have to. I should have held on to that thought. 

But I pinned a recipe for orange cinnamon cookies a while back and they just got stuck in my head, and so I braved the pantry and pulled out the ingredients. 

I don't like recipes you have to coddle. By coddling I mean anything that takes longer than about 15 minutes to do and get in the oven . This recipe calls for resting the dough in Step 1 in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Then you have to add the cinnamon mix from the second step and give it another rest for about an hour. By that time I was completely stressed out and I needed a rest too. That should have been my first clue that this recipe was high maintenance  and headed for disaster.  

So here's the original recipe and picture. 

Aren't they cute and delicate looking? Link to the recipe can be found here
And here are mine , looking for all the world like their guts is spilling out....


I sent them off to Mr. P's work to poison the masses (all part of my dastardly plan to get my husband a promotion) He told people they were orange toffee shortbread and apparently people thought they were fabulous and that I am a legend. Obviously nobody has twigged yet that they are eating epic failures....suckers.



P.S. I pinned a recipe for Cronuts this week.  Got the urge to bake them this morning and read the recipe. Apparently those f*****s need to rest 23 times between kneadings and lay about doing buggerall in the fridge for so long that my great grand children are going to have to finish them. 

27 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Made me laugh like a fool especially the comment regarding "cronuts"!

Jackie's Stitches said...

We have a bakery that sells cronuts here. They take 3 days to make!!! I wouldn't even pin such a recipe!

Paulette said...

Girl, we have been on the same cosmic wavelength. I made an EPIC fail recipe from Pinterest that went in the effing trash. Not that I didn't cram down half of it first, just to be sure what a failure it was, though. That's a couple hours and a few hundred calories I'll never recover. I took photos though, which I was going to delete until I read your post. Now I feel like it's my civic duty to post them in solidarity. Problem is, I think the recipe itself was flawed. See how I am weaseling out of responsibility for failure? It's a gift. ;P

Paulette said...

PS - I have no idea what cronuts are (and you HAVE to make them now...are you making them?), but it reminds me of Jimmy Fallon's "Funkin' GoNuts" schtick:: http://youtu.be/3yEE_GpbIgw

PPS - Those cookies look pretty darn tasty to me, no matter that they didn't look as photogenic as the original pin. That is all that really matters.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

The prince is so clever!

Linda

thea said...

Although your cookies don't look like the pin, they do look great. Hope Mr. P gets a promotion or at least brownie points .. what are cronuts?

Mistea said...

And the moral of the story is don't believe anything you see on pinterest!

The combination does sound delicious.

Diane-crewe said...

I sooo sympathise with you ... I watch all these chefs making fantastic food on the Tv.. when I try the "simple" ones the dogs eat well xx stick to what I know and eat shop bought cake and biscuits I say

Noela said...

You can only keep trying Shay. We all have bloopers some times, I do even with things I make regularly. Hugs......

Jennifer said...

They were edible, at least! Perhaps next time you get the urge to bake you should lie down with a G & T clutched firmly in hand......

Larri said...

Loved your re-cap of baking events. I enjoy baking, but I will never, ever be able to bake bread. My 10yo daughter has had bread-baking success, but me? Nope. I think it's too many steps for my ADD brain to follow.

PS - Your cookies may not look like the Pinterest photo, but they still look delicious.

PPS - Your Cronuts extra made me spew coffee onto my laptop screen. Wiping it down now. Thanks ;)

Cindy said...

I don't think your cookies look all that bad. Really. I hope you keep these little panty bunchers going because I love a good 'laugh out loud' reading!

Anonymous said...

I think yours look tastier. More homemadeand less commercial. More cinnamonny.

Elizabeth said...

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry. They must have been tasty, though, if Mr. P's coworkers liked them. In the end, isn't that what counts?

xo -E

Terri said...

You are a whoot! I don't bake much during the summer - which here is from April to November - because heating up the house only to have the A/C come on and cost us an arm and leg just isn't smart... so living in CA for over 30 years now I have lost any baking talents I used to have. We are moving back to WI soon. We are both diabetic... that's the excuse I'm going to use.
BTW your cookies look delish!
Hugs

Katy Cameron said...

I'm a firm believer in it not mattering how bad something looks as long as it tastes good, hence I don't have fancy piping crap to ice my cupcakes, I slap it on with a spoon and call it 'rustic'. In fact you can call pretty much anything rustic if you put your mind to it... ;o)

I'm also a firm believer in avoiding anything that has a rising/proofing period

Canadian Abroad said...

Come here. I'll make you all the cookies you can eat.

Sue SA said...

I don't know I would be game to eat your biscuits, just look like they have a generous amount of filling, which would make them tasty! I googled a recipe for Cockles (apparently a SA speciality biscuit) after seeing them at the show baking competition five years ago, I still haven't bothered making them - not because of the resting, but because you need to jam AND ice them!

Leanne said...

As long as they taste good it doesn't matter what they look like.

Tamie said...

Your posts are so funny and so real. I feel like we could be friends in person if you didn't live in a different hemisphere!

Kate said...

At least you are brave enough to make things from scratch. I made brownies from a box and messed those up some. None came home with her, I pretty sure it had a lot to with the fact that teenage boys will truely eat anything.

Rachaeldaisy said...

I think you are a baking diva!! Those thingys resemble the picture more than anything I cook would. I've never heard of cronuts, I've got to check those out...

sandra said...

I think some guys like anything sweet. Years ago I made a caramel slice that involved cooking condensed milk. It sort of burnt so I was going to throw it out. Hubby rescued it and ate it all.

https://quiltingatthecottae.blogspot.com/ said...

Those cinnamon pancakes are very popular in our cottage. Kids love them so much, although a tad messy to make. Love Pinterest.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Perfection is sooo over-rated...orange toffee shortbread, brilliant! well done Mr P...

Kirsten's Cooking said...

Bahaha!! I'm proud of you for trying. I absolutely hate wasting time and ingredients on a hopeless cause. I've yet to try a Cronut....are they good?

Sarah said...

Bahahaha you're hilarious! I love baking, but I'm with you on the fiddly bit. Just put it in a bowl and mix it together is enough for me.