Friday, November 30, 2012

Survivor: Kitchen

I'm still pinning things like a crazy lady on Pinterest . At this rate I'm never going to run out of recipes to try. To be honest, I seem to be pinning a lot of chocolate and dessert recipes so I can see some very interesting dinners in my future line up. I'm not one of those people that gets all fussed about dinner having to be a savoury meal. Or even proper food really.

This week though, the recipe I chose was proper food which is just as well because a friend dropped over with my wine barrel delivery on Tuesday night (don't get all excited -they were empty - but still smell like wine so that was a bonus because perhaps we'll get drunk off the fumes ) and I had arranged for them to stay and have dinner with us. 

And I figured the best time to cook something new was when I had guests coming because if it was brilliant I'd look like a cooking genius and if it was horrible I could say "yeah that was a new recipe - and it was  crap, I wont be cooking that again" and my reputation would be completely saved. 

Here is the original of this weeks recipe including the link. I had to go buy limes at $1.79 each which hurt a little bit because that's an utterly ridiculous price for limes. However this recipe is called Coconut Lime Chicken so it wasn't an ingredient the recipe could do without. 

Coconut Lime Chicken 
And here is my version that I completely forgot to put sauce on,even after doubling the marinade recipe and reserving half of it so I could do the sauce! And my picture isn't half as pretty as the original. 

I actually ate those salads and they were delicious 
I used chicken thighs for this recipe and palm sugar when the recipe called for sugar and then I bullied Mr. P into gently throwing these onto the barbecue to give them some final flavour. They were an eight  thumbs up kind of recipe and the tribe voted them in as a definite keeper. I love anything curry based and with lots of spice and these fit the bill. I was a bit worried when I did the marinade that they would have too much bite and not enough sweet to balance it out but the flavour combo was perfect! 


You could double this recipe and use the leftovers for a kick arse chicken salad too!

Next weeks recipe is  Vietnamese Steak Sandwiches . Mr. P is already dreaming about it. If you're looking for a fast easy recipe this is the one ! 




17 comments:

Paulette said...

Ooh, there is pounding involved! I'm in! I am so making this recipe.

I wondered if you ate those greens. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sue SA said...

Yum! Between sick kids n cleaning house l am thinking I can fit in a trip to the butcher to get meat to try these recipes!

Char said...

Not to rub it it but that is outrageous for limes. They're 5 for $1.00 here. You're chicken looks wonderful, think I might try this next week. We just finished the last of the Thanksgiving turkey in the form of turkey croquettes.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

Wonder why limes are so expensive? I guess they're out of season now?

I'm glad you liked the chicken - brilliant idea using thighs!

tonight we had venison tenderloin from Josh's big buck! :) It was surprisingly delicious!!!

can't wait to see the vietnamese steak sandwiches - sounds like a genius idea - I'm off to check it out!

Vesuviusmama said...

Looks and sounds delish!

Cindy said...

Now chicken I can do! This looks delish. When is your cooking show starting?

thea said...

This was a soup week here at my house, but I really do want to join in. Hoping Saturday since it's a "free" day when all we have to eat are leftovers ..

Rachaeldaisy said...

When I first started reading your blog you had nights where you'd eat a packet of chips and call it dinner. These dishes are so yummy. The lime chicken is on next weeks meal list and now you've mentioned those Vietnamese Steak sandwiches, they sound extra delicious, I want to try those too.

Sooli said...

This sounds so good, I'm definitely going to give this one a go! Printing as we speak! Thanks!

Karen said...

This is on the menu this weekend for us...perhaps without coconut. Glad you tested it! :)

Katy Cameron said...

Holy crap, I think that officially makes those limes more than gold on a per weight basis (hang on a minute, aren't you a country with a climate to grow these things FFS?!)

Unknown said...

I love the thighs as they have juicy meat, it's what I use the most in chicken recipes. Must look at your pins...lots of chocolate is my little girl's favourite too...all 50 yrs of her!
I thought limes grew in Au. What's with $1.79? Here in Florida, the biggest beef grower in the US, steaks are the most expensive...all beef products actually, so chicken is a fav.
Limes here are 2 for .99 oh, sorry for your paying the big bucks price too. But if it worked and Mr P loved it...all worth it.

Brenda said...

Yum! You put me to shame, as usual, the food is not so fancy around here these days!

Kate said...

Looks yummy. My only culinary adventure was to pick up a Pappa Murphy's pizza and pop it into the oven. Thanks for sharing your foody adventures.

Marg said...

Hmm that's a very good point that Rachael made. What happened to the old Mrs P whose gourmet delights included curly fries and a bar of chocolate? And you ate vegetables......again????
Oh and limes are expensive up our way too, usually the cheapest you'll find them is $1 each.
Will try this recipe once I return from living it up!

Kristie said...

Your cooking is making me drool!

Anonymous said...

[p]style gurus to founded new trends . Take pleasure in your self with the fashion [url=http://cheapuggbaileybuttonuk.moonfruit.com]cheap ugg bailey button uk[/url] ugg boots sale, grab our unique Ugg Boots to fit you in this coming winter . Even though enough time gave their own becauty in reserve, that they also unique its captivating . Genuine UGG boots supply in our [url=http://genuineuggaustralia.moonfruit.com]genuine ugg australia sale[/url] shop . When this great sheepskin fashion sensation themed with sheepskin incurs elegant grey magic, a blockbuster presents [url=http://genuinecheapuggboots.moonfruit.com]genuine cheap ugg boots[/url] itself to feast eyes . It' s widely known Australian sheepskin shoes are incredibly functional in warming feet and ensuring fabulous health . If you have colored your hair, did the color contribute to its appealing appearance? Remember, hair beauty products are basically manufactured for specific hair types so if you are fully aware of your hair type, you know what kind of hair product [url=http://uggbootsonlinesaleuk.moonfruit.com]ugg boots online sale uk[/url] is best for your mane . Most people have the misconception that joining a multi-level marketing (MLM) business can bring them incredible amount [url=http://ugguksaleonline.moonfruit.com]ugg uk sale online[/url] of profits without any effort at all . Special Ugg boots are sheepskin boots that have a tanned outside with attached wool inside and synthetically designed sole.[/p]



[url=http://www.acupuncture4themind.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=167218]There Offer the discount Ugg sandals for women online with high-quality 3y[/url]
[url=http://forum.iskysoft.com/member175068.html]There Offer the cheap Ugg sandals shoes online with high-quality 2k[/url]
[url=http://www.feiyiwang.com/viewthread.php?tid=332780&extra=]There Offer the discount Ugg sandals for men online with high-quality 8i[/url]
[url=http://thereallybadpeople.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=32564]Here Offer the discount Ugg sandals for women online with high-quality 5z[/url]
[url=http://grlforum.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=128875]There Offer the discount Ugg sandals for women online with high-quality 8e[/url]