Friday, September 09, 2011

Favourite Things Friday


I'm late to my own linky party today since I've been on Little P babysitting duty this week.  Is it still Friday? It feels like eons since I did anything remotely adult.  I don't even know my own name at the moment let alone what day it might be. I count myself lucky I remembered to put underwear on this morning and I take my hat off to anyone who is doing this with more than one kid simultaneously. Are you barking mad?  I've spent most of the last 72 hours thanking my lucky stars that Little P isn't twins.


I have been awoken at 6.00am two out of the last three days by a child poking me in the eyeball. Yesterday it was with a licorice stick and a little voice yelling " I want this Bella" .."Here you are Bella" ..."Wake Up Bella"..."Eat this Bella".I love that Little P has that much enthusiasm in the morning before I've had my coffee. 

Mealtimes have been an utter circus. Little P has had oodles of fun feeding Indy and Lola from his fork at the table.  It took me four years to teach those dogs not to hover over people while they're eating and that habit has been broken in a mere three days. I love that Little P likes to share-even if it entails me taking a half sucked Bertie Beetle to be polite.

Changing a child who doesn’t want to get dressed is like trying to nail jelly to a tree. Eventually I worked out a system that involved sticking my knee in his stomach to anchor him down which is probably child abuse. Over the last three days I have spent 9 hours of my life employing my unique child changing method. It works. I love that Little P thought this was a game and spent 9 hours squealing with delight and squirming like a trapped snake.

Yesterday I drove Mr. P  to work with Little P tagging along for the ride.  It was apparently imperative for me to get excited every single time we saw a bus , which in peak hour is approximately every 15 seconds. I was   in the car for 90 minutes. By my reckoning that means I had to get loudly excited 360 times without the benefit of a second cup of coffee.  I love that Little P still gets excited by a bus whereas I see them as a traffic annoyance. 


Sleep deprivation  makes you  temporarily insane. I took Little P  grocery shopping. The  designers of supermarkets have a lot to answer for. Even though they make the aisles two trolleys wide they don’t account for children who seems to have extendo arms like Inspector Gadget. How can someone that small have the arm span of an adult eagle?  I had all sorts of things in my trolley by the time I got to the checkout  that I know I didn’t put in there and my bill came to  $586.36. But I love that Little P doesn't know how much a 70 gram tube of Roary the Racing Car yogurt works out to per kilo ($19.95 ) and thinks that Lightning McQueen Kleenex somehow cleans up boogers  differently to  regular tissues. 

Little P got 25 new toy cars yesterday and  before he went to bed last night he couldn’t find two of them. This led to a meltdown with him sobbing “I think they’re lost  - we find them in Bella’s house tomorrow? “ I love that he had complete faith that I would find them and make everything right with his world again. 

And while some of this my sound like grandma griping and like I've had a shit time of it this week, I'm here to tell you that my favourite thing this Friday (and yes it IS still Friday because I checked ) has been spending a lot of this week with my grandson who thinks I'm uber-cool and can do almost anything. But my absolute favourite thing was when he climbed up on my lap and we had the following exchange:


Little P : "I love you Bella"
Me: "I love you more" 
Little P : "Not possible"

This Bella gig is pretty good. 


29 comments:

Larri said...

The most fabulous Favourite post you've ever written, Shay..er, Bella! ☺ I aspire to be a wonderful grandma like you one day, though not any time soon!

Glad to know you had a great, albeit busy, week. Thought I was gonna have to hop a plane and come check on you. You've been sorely missed. ☺ Happy Friday night/Saturday morning!

Sara said...

Naw that's adorabubble. And I like Adelaide buses - some of them even appear to have smiley faces. But ours are rainbow, whereas yours are in Crows colours.

I'm 23 now and I only ever buy one box design of tissues. The grey one with the pink swirly bits. The tissues in all the other boxes are crap.

Petra said...

Oh, what a funny recap of your little P adventures. Grand-children are grand! I'm just trying to figure out how we kept pace with our children when they were little? I love your absolute favourite thing! Have a super weekend!

thea said...

What a wonderful post .. I love that you had such a wonderful time though I know it was a ton of work. Obviously worth it. I aspire to be as good a grandma as you!

Loved the exchange at the end.

Canadian Abroad said...

You might get more sleep but boy are you going to miss Little P. Sounds like you had a brilliant time together. My tip for dressing squirmy worms - stick your hand up the trouser leg and then pull their leg through. Works a treat.

Angie in SoCal said...

I chuckled through your whole post - isn't being a grammy the most fun?! I can relate to a lot of it with 5 DGKs. Thanks for brightening my day.

Mindy said...

Oh, how I love those g-baby times! They wear me out too, but it is such a great way to be exhausted!

Paulette said...

Aw, what a sweet thing to say! It sounds like you've had a wonderful time, despite the sleep deprivation and toddler wrangling.

Unknown said...

The funniest blog yet...OMG..I was howling, so Jerry will be reading the blog this week too!
My daughter runs a day care and she has a little one who continually takes off her "pull ups" when she has a major accident if you know what I mean. So Kelly used duct tape on her pullup when she put her down....she called her mom and told her it was successful. Lila cannot remove duct tape from a pull up, so her mom is investing in it.
You sound like you had the most wonderful week of your life!
You will miss these days for sure.
Oh and sleep in tomorrow, it's Saturday... ps, the password for the blog is "howlin" how good is that as I'm still laughing...

Marie said...

oh Shay -- you are one lucky grammy .....enjoy every moment!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Shay, you've made me laugh so much and then shed at tear at the last sweet little bit. You're a classic and Little P is a super cutie!! Nailing jelly to a tree- LOL!!!

TheLab said...

Not sure if I could adore you any more than I do already... ;) I just LOVE reading anything you write. This was hilarious!!!

Marg said...

Awwwwwwwww how nice, I'm so pleased you had such a great if exhausting time with Little P. I love -nailing jelly to a tree.
I hope you get lots of sleep this weekend and time to recover.

seabreezequilts said...

Wondered where you were yesterday sounds like you were in Nanna heaven. Although I am sure you had a ball it made me thankful that my too are past most of the toddler stuff... I say most because at 8 and 10 we still have meltdowns over ridiculous things. I didn't have trouble with dressing when they were little though now my son will only dress after he has been yelled at a thousand times and it is 2 minutes before we have to be somewhere. Squid on the other hand has been dressing herself (including choosing what she wears) since she was 2 with minimal intervention from required from me. Great FTF have a good rest of the week and enjoy the fact that he can go back with his mum and come and stay another time. My son stays with Nanna just about every weekend probably because she is the only one of the planet that can talk as much as he can... although that means she can't get a word in.

Brenda said...

Here Here! Being a grandma is the best, but also exhausting! Glad you survived and will live to quilt another day.

Mistea said...

Fantastic - sounds like your week has been fabulous.
Way to go Bella - and I think Little P is probably right!
Enjoy

Lorraine said...

Welcome back to your boring mornings with two cups of coffee and no little P to poke you in the eye to wake you up....glad you had a great time....supermarkets are master manipulators with all the little goodies within reach of little hands at the checkouts...and the packaging of things really makes them look attractive....which is obviously working! I stay out of the "stupour market" as much as possible.....gotta go....am going out the back to try nailing jelly to a tree...sounds like fun!

Kate said...

Glad you had a great time with little P. I thought about you this week and wondered what you and Little P would be up too during his visit. Little P is pretty lucky to have such a cool Bella.

Helsie said...

Well by my bedtime I was starting to get worried. Were you sick, had some type of catastrophe befallen you? But no, just Grandma duty. I'm jealous, neither of my two look like reproducing any time soon and I'm getting old - much older than my mother was when she became a grandmother !!
sounds like you've had a week with memories you will treasure always. Lucky thing!!!
Cheers
Helen

Kirsten said...

sh...you made me cry...and out of words..what a great kid!

Elizabeth said...

I absolutely LOVE the things that kids say, like your little conversation at the end of this post. That was awesome! Glad you had a crazy, great week!

xo -E

AnnieO said...

And a very witty Bella at that! Thanks for all the laughs. Gosh I do remember the toy car days and how painful they were to step on in the dark. You're just a bit infatuated with Little P, but definitely entitled to be with phrases like those he uttered!

Kristie said...

So, so sweet. Those little moments make it all worthwhile!

And I love all of your observations about life with a little one. Do you see why I am stark raving mad?? But I must say, I do get a kick out of how they see the world and I love them to pieces...even if I spend a lot of the day trying to nail jelly to trees (love that line!).

Unknown said...

LOL sounds like Normal Nanna Time to Me...can relate to the child abuse at change time going through the same thing...
cheers

Kris said...

I recognise that week! Sounds like mine with my grandson! (Gave up on the restraining knee. Resorted to the chocolate frog bribery method. Worked a treat! - literally!)

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Sounds like you had a great time with Litte P and I loved the final comment, don't kids say the cutest things. PS you can come and do granny duty to my 2 anytime you like ;-P

Vesuviusmama said...

I love that he calls you Bella! I want to be called something cool like that when I'm a grand mom!

Michelle Ridgway said...

I agree I think Bella is so cool. I think thats why kids are cute....to insure the survival of the species. You have missed your calling you shoud have been a writer. Loved every moment and the laughter has set me coughing and barking again.

melissa said...

He is so gorgeous, i love how he calls you Bella!

x